Chapter One

Dear Kagiso

It's been a while. For Warona, it's been 15 years. Yes, that's what I named her. The name you and I talked about.

I hope you and your wife have been doing well. I have not. It's your beloved daughter. She keeps asking questions. She wants more than this life has given her and her grandfather is only making it worse. I'm not the one who told her about you, it was my Dad. I can't say I'm sorry for something I didn't cause. Well, I think we are both at fault for what has happened. You for not listening to me. My only mistake was loving a fool and trying to save him.

But the purpose of this letter is not our failed "relationship". It's about your child. Your blood. She lives and breathes like you. It's irritating sometimes. She deserves a good life but I can't give it to her. You can. I think it's best if she stays with you from now on. I've raised her well enough, it's your turn. She's smart, talkative, inquisitive and beautiful. She's annoying at times but you'll get used to it. I'm sure every moment you spend with her will make a remarkable memory. Have fun!

Side note: if you refuse to welcome your lovely daughter with open arms, I'll be paying a visit to your favourite journalist. I know a few words and sentences that can stir up the nation. This is not a threat, it's an idea.

Kind regards

Kat

"She's crazy!" Lithamsanqa said. "Calm down. I'm sure there's something we can do about this," Kagiso said. "Like what, Kagiso? Then she had the audacity to sign the letter with that stupid nickname you called her. Why did you call her that? Kat?" "We need to be very careful about this. The company's name is at risk." "You think I don't know that? All of that hard work! We can't let something like this jeopardise it. Katlego is out of her mind! How dare she? She's not fit enough to raise the child? What does that have to do with us? She's the one who ran away with her!" Lithamsanqa said.

She was ready to murder someone. She had read the letter three times and each time it made her angrier. "I'm sure there's a way we can fix this. Look, let's take the child in for a few months. She'll be homesick and go home," Kagiso said. "You are out of your mind! That girl is not coming into our home, Kagiso." "Then what do you suggest we do? We can't let Kat go to the press! She'll leak information that will put us in jeopardy! Information that will put the company in jeopardy," Kagiso said.

"You're the man, Kagiso. You're the father of that wrench she raised, think of something!" "Let her stay with us until we figure something out," Kagiso said. "That's not an option!" "What else can we do?" "Kill her! I don't know," Lithamsanqa said. Kagiso's eyes widened. "We are many things. Thieves, yes. Liars, yes. Con artists? Definitely. But killers? Never." "Well then I don't know. All I know is that I'm not living under the same roof with that daughter of hers," Lithamsanqa said. "She was going to be our daughter once. We can just pretend like-" "Like Katlego never got obsessed with you and tried to take you from me? Like she never tried to kill me? Like she never ran away with a baby we paid for? Pretend like that was a dream?" "I know you hate what happened. I don't like it either but Litha, baby, we have 3 sons. We have a family and a thriving business."

"We can just add one nuisance of a child to the equation and it won't change a thing!" Kagiso said. "No! I won't allow Katlego to bully us into taking responsibility for her mess! We don't have to take care of that child. Let her go to the press. I don't care. We'll tell our side of the story." "Do you think they'll believe us? We're rich. She's dirt poor. She's got nothing. They'll look at her story and compare her to us. Everything we've worked so hard for will crumble before us. Don't forget that she also knows more about our business than any outsider should. She knows about the transactions to that account we don't talk about. She knows about the dark secrets behind this business and she can sell those to the press as well." "We'll deny everything," Lithamsanqa said. "Do you really want to take that chance?" Kagiso asked.

Lithamsanqa fell back on the couch. They'd been in that office looking at the letter and trying to come up with a plan that did not involve giving in to Katlego's demands. Kagiso made sense. If they made one wrong move, all of the secrets they worked hard to protect would be out there for the world to see. They'd lose everything. Lithamsanqa thought about her boys. Their sons. What would be left for them to inherit if everything fell apart?

"Fine. Bring the girl but Katlego doesn't get to be part of this family. She'll always be an outsider. I'll make sure of that. Call Katlego. I know you can find her number. Tell her to pack the girl's bags."