02

chapter 2 : coward vs forward

a devastating, but not shocking loss against matsukaze

"this team will forever be the greatest team in japan!!" coach sobbed. a rare sight, if you're honest. he was a tough man, but it was clear he cared for the team.

you stood there, a blank expression enveloped on your face. you were devestated for sure, but you couldn't seem to cry about it. you glanced around at your tearful teammates neatly lined up. shio looked pretty sad. he was always close to the 3rd years.

if we were so great we would've won..

"sagichin,"

the striker turned to look towards the source of the familiar nickname.

"i thought you stopped with that" isagi laughed as you walked faster to catch up with him.

"why would i stop? i think it's a cute name" you grinned cheekily as your classmate sighed. "..thinking about the match?"

"yeah.. i can't shake off the feeling that something wasn't right.." he replied, kicking a pebble on the ground.

"what wasn't right is the fact that you sucked, mr. super passer." you quipped bluntly.

"harsh! and what do you mean "super passer"?!"

"hah? you can't be fucking serious, isagi." you stopped in your tracks looking him dead in the eyes. " 'soccer is a sport played by eleven people' is what you thought before passing the ball to tada, is that right?"

"well.. yeah.. what's up with you, man? what're you getting at?" isagi laughed it off as another one of your straightforward critiques at his plays after every match to poke fun but he couldn't deny the growing pit in his stomach at your tone.

"i'm saying you should've shot the ball, you coward."

"yeesh dude give me a break! it was a simple slip up you dont have to be so mad! you scared me a bit there"