Tardy Today

Two boys stood at the entrance of the school gate. Their faces were flushed as they glanced at their phones. One of them was tall and burly, the other was more slender in figure.

"Ten years. To think that I would witness this before going to college." The more slender one, Chike sighed. He pushed his glasses further as he stared at the clock.

The tall one leaned lazily on the wall, "It is not a big deal. Stop fussing."

Chike rolled his eyes, "You think I am fussing. Just glance at the window, I am sure two or three teachers are secretly glancing off. Say, Jude, you are very worried, aren't you? "

Jude's cheeks flushed red causing Chike to burst out laughing. The walkway was almost empty so Chike's laughter was very loud bringing the attention of the snack sellers around the campus.

He rolled his eyes at him and glanced back at the windows in the school. Sure enough, he could see the few shadows of some people there.

Classes began at 8 o'clock in the morning. It was 7:56a.m and Xaloc Night, the class president and most punctual student to grace the walls of the school was not here.

It was not an exaggeration. From middle school to their last year of high school, Xaloc had always been seated in the classroom by 7:30 a.m unless there was a medical emergency.

He is the type to never bend his own rules and that was the main reason even after all these years, Jude had never summoned the courage to confess.

Maybe when they go to college. Maybe then, he would finally blurt the feelings in his heart and be free.

It was just a crush, after all.

He was sure that half the school population also had the same emotions as he did.

"Procrastinator. Haven't you heard the saying, 'if you love someone, go for it?"

"You made that up, right now."

"I did not. It is two more minutes. We would be late if we still continue to stand outside and it would be the third time this week."

Jude gave him a pointed stare, "Perhaps if you did not spend all night playing video games?"

Choke chuckled awkwardly, "I wish Xaloc could confide in us." Chike sighed. "It has been ten years and yet I still wonder if we are even friends."

"He is here." Jude said as his eyes caught sight of a tall figure walking quickly towards them.

Jude swallowed. From the first time Jude had seen Xaloc at the playground, he had wondered how someone so beautiful could exist.

He was just like those mysterious, mythical fairies that showed up on Television. Ten years and he was still awestruck whenever he saw him.

Xaloc had a rather slender face, with carefully even eyebrows set over deep-set almond-shaped eyes the colour of the darkest ink. His face was even more defined by a strong jaw which receded into a soft chin.

He was dressed in the same school uniform as the rest of them, however, it showed off his lean, slender body that had no ounce of fat.

Xaloc's appearance was in line with most people's aesthetics. It was no wonder he had been the school grass since freshman year.

"Good morning. You did not have to wait outside for me but thank you for that." Xaloc turned down the volume of the music in his headset as he made his way into the building. His class was on the fourth floor, there was no way he could make it on time.

He broke a school rule. He needed to serve the punishment.

"Hey! Thank you or you didn't have to wait, pick one."