"Are you going to change before the party?"

"I'm not going."

"Why the hell not? It's Halloween. Tonight we're supposed to dress like sluts, drink our asses off, and make bad decisions. Why would you miss out on all of that?"

"Because he'll be there."

"Who gives a shit? Show up and make out with someone in front of him to make him jealous. Hell, I'll even volunteer."

"I appreciate the offer, Rumi, really, I do, but I already volunteered to close tonight. You guys have fun."

"As if the party won't still be going on after we close. Hey, Keigo!" she suddenly shouted. "We're closing early tonight."

A head of golden hair looked up from where he stood at the hostess stand a few feet away. It seemed like your manager hadn't bothered with a real costume either, simply throwing on a pair of wings over his clothes.

Keigo flashed the two of you a smile and nodded. The owner, Mr. Todoroki, let him do pretty much whatever he wanted, so if Keigo said you were closing early, then that's what was going to happen.

Customers loved Keigo. They loved the easy way he made conversation, they loved his megawatt smile, they loved his charm. They loved the way he'd stay and talk at their table for forever, all the while ignoring the hundreds of things he was actually supposed to be doing as on-duty manager.

He loved the attention from customers but mostly he loved the attention of the new hostesses. Between Keigo and Touya, both of them notorious for hitting on the newest hires, the poor girls didn't stand a chance. 

It was almost like a part of the restaurant's training sequence at this point, with the rest of the staff placing bets on whether the charming pretty boy or the pierced and tattooed line cook would hook up with the new hire first.

Somehow you'd been spared this ritual and neither of them had ever even tried to make a move on you. You weren't sure if you should be offended or relieved.

In a flash Keigo was by your side at the bar.

"Cute tail," he said, eyeing Rumi's ass.

"Your wings are stupid," she said back. "Was that the best you could do?"

"Want to touch them?"

"Not at all."

"Your loss. What about you, y/n? You're wearing your uniform so I'm guessing you guys have a great couples costume planned for the party?"

At the mention of being a couple, you froze, forcing down the anxious feeling in the pit of your stomach.

"We're not...," you managed to choke out the words. "I'm not. . . We are. . .We broke up."

Even though it was true, even though you'd said it to other people when they'd asked, hearing those words never got easier.

"Tough luck. Anyway, go run some food. And hurry it up. I don't understand how you guys are always so slow."

The whole night was slow. Since it was Halloween, the restaurant was empty with only a few customers here and there, making it even harder to ignore the two lovebirds at your table.

On a normal night, the restaurant was slammed. There was nothing fancy about the place; in fact, it was fairly small and the interior was simplistic in design. A bar on one side, the kitchen beside it. A few high top bar tables and an open dining room with booths along the wall and tables in the middle.

However, for such a small place, it wasn't unusual to have a long wait for a table, with people lining up outside to get in on the weekends. The secret was in the food. Every dish was the perfect mixture of hot and cold, sweet and spicy, with a special, secret seasoning called that drew people far and wide to the otherwise unremarkable restaurant.