Just What I Need Chapter 2

Zacznij od początku

“We’re childhood friends.” He provided. “And besides, I prefer senior high schools.” He winked down at me.

I chuckled. “I do hope so.” When I realized what I just said, my eyes widened. “What I mean is—that—I didn’t actually—I didn’t—it was sheer sarcasm.” I reasoned, stammering.

He looked down at me with blatant amusement. “Sure, okay.” He allowed.

I looked away, to the group of boys on the other side of the field, to hide the blush that crept up my cheeks. “Were you trained?” I queried, changing the subject.

“Mm?” He sounded like I had just pulled him from his own train of thought.

“Were you trained to be a bodyguard?” I reiterated.

“I’m a trained assassin, for your information.” He stated smugly.

I looked at him. “Assassin?”

“Assassin.”

“You mean like an agent?”

He nodded.

“Do you kill people?” I asked warily.

He glanced down at me then back at space. “I can’t tell you.”

“I’ll take that as a yes.” There was an awkward silence. “If you’re a trained assassin, why waste your time babysitting a seventeen year old?” I wondered.

He took a deep breath, pondering, I thought. I waited for his answer. But when the silence stretched, I decided to guess. “Did Dad bribe you?”

He was unmoving.

“Does your silence means yes or no?” I persisted.

Still, no answer.

“I don’t really understand why you’re here. You know as well as I do that I do not need a bodyguard. I mean, I haven’t received a death threat or anything.” I rambled. “Besides, you’re an assassin who should be off to some more important mission of yours.”

“You don’t know anything.” He murmured grimly.

I stared at him and scoffed. “And you know a lot?”

He just looked at me, giving nothing away.

I sighed and looked back at the clear blue scenery in front of me. “Come to think of it, I don’t understand anything at all. Why I have to be urgently pulled out of school. Why I have to transfer to some boarding school. The last time this happened, I was in fifth grade and I never really knew why. Maybe it’s tradition in the making.” I laughed humorlessly. “And Mom and Dad. Where are they now anyway? The last time I’ve heard, they’re in Paris. But who knows? Maybe they’re off to India, or Cuba, or, I don’t know, Antarctica?”