chapter twenty

Dakota turned off the lights to the kitchen, a bowl of popcorn in her hands as she settled in her spot on the couch next to Ameila, spreading the throw blanket over the both of them, and unpausing the movie Mean Girls that they had previously started. Phoenix was in the shower after Dakota when the two of them arrived, the curly haired claiming that she 'took the longest' and it was 'only logical' that she went first.

"Have you seen your mom?" Dakota questioned, muffled slightly by a mouthful of popcorn. The blonde shook her head, eyebrows furrowed, "No, actually. I don't even know if she's home yet." She checked her phone for the time, 12:03 am. "Mom!" She yelled, as the older paused the movie yet again. The sound of soft movement thudded through the roof of the living room, making Dakota quirk her head upwards. "I thought you were gonna be at a friends house?" Penny yelled back, sounding slightly breathless.

Her and Amelia looked at each other, throwing the blanket off of them as they shifted to the kitchen once more, "No? Tonight's movie night with Nat and Dakota remember?" She yelled back, opening the refrigerator and grabbing a soda. "Oh yeah! Do you need me to make some food?" The aviator looked up toward the ceiling once more, hearing a particularly loud thud. "Nah we got snacks." Amelia joined the older in sitting on the counter of the kitchen, leaning back against the cool glass of the window. "Alright be right down!"

Dakota grabbed the soda that was handed to her, and opened the can. "Hm, it's not like her to forget our movie nights," she took a sip, feeling the bubbly substance go down her throat. "I know, kinda weird but it's whatever." She shrugged, jumping off the counter, Dakota doing the same.

Right as the two of them faced the window, her jaw went slack. Their gazes landing on Maverick, who held his jacket in his hand, cheeks tined with a thin layer of rosy pink, out of breath slightly. The three of them just stared at each other, Dakota being thankful that her can of soda was placed on the counter next to her and not in her hand, fearing that she probably would've dropped it in this situation. Maverick nodded his head lightly at the two girls, his lips pulled in a thin line. "Just don't break her heart again." Amelia said firmly, eyebrows raising at the man, before her walked out of view of the kitchen window.

The sound of the bathroom door opened broke Dakota out of her, frankly disturbed state. Phoenix walked to the two girls who just got settled again on the couch. "Hey," she breathed, sitting next to Amelia and throwing her feet up on the younger's lap. Her head quirked, noticing the two girls' silence. "What's wrong?" She questioned, leaning over the grab the bowl of popcorn that was placed on the coffee table in front of the couch.

"I think we'll wait to explain when Penny gets down here."

"Wait to explain what when I get down here?" She spoke, walking down the last step and rounding around the couch, sitting next to Dakota. The freckled woman inhaled, trying to fight the smile that threatened to tug on her lips. "Explain why me and Amelia caught Mav jumping out your window." She said, a smirk finally breaking out of her. Phoenix's eyes widened as she placed the bowl of popcorn down on the table, "Oh shit."

The girls watched as a vigorous red over took the pigmentation of the apples of her cheeks, a bashful smile breaking out on her lips as she sighed heavily. "I think I'll wait to explain that situation when I know what it is." Penny leaned against the arm of the couch, leaning her head on her elbow as her eyes shifted between the three girls. "Is this the first time since he's been back?" Phoenix questioned, throwing her arm around Amelia and leaning back.

"No, the first time was after your guys' day at the beach." Penny stated quietly, shrugging. The girls looked at her expectantly. The older scoffed playfully, "If you girls are dying to know, he gave me a ride back home and then just came in," "Came in what the front door or you-" Dakota threw a pillow at Phoenix's head before she could even finish the sentence. "Natasha! Gross!" A playful smile on her features, "Well what it's a genuine question! And lord knows you don't spare us any details about Bradley so it's what I'm used to." She shrugged, tugging Amelia closer to her as the younger giggled.