Chapter 42: New challenge, begin

Começar do início

The two knights' kneeled with one knee on the floor, "We apologize, Lady Avana. We made a grave mistake," they told her without showing their faces. It was better that way, Avy did not want to see their faces anyway. It seems like being of noble descent made its way to her head pretty quickly that she's now acting like one. Or maybe her original ego is just as big as those of nobilities that she did not like how the butler sounded of higher status. Either that, or she's just being petty like usual. 

"Move along. My servants and I do not have all night to spare," she said and the two immediately opened the door for them. The butler bowed and ushered them to enter the room first which they did without hesitation. 

The said butler gestured her to sit on the chair next to the bed where the small master was sleeping soundly, his face looked much more relaxed than when he was screaming nonstop in the garden. 

"Lady Avana may have already heard of me since I used to be Young Master Zach's aide when he was a child, but allow me to introduce myself." the butler stood before her with elegance she knew that is worthy enough of her awe. "My name is Craye Aguelot. I was appointed as the head butler by the master of this estate. I apologize for creating a misunderstanding, My Lady." 

Craye looked like he would be the same age as Raux, their head cook, or maybe a little older. His height could be compared to their chef although his physique was slimmer while Raux's muscles could still be seen even when covered with his white button-up sleeve uniform, on the other hand, Craye's resembled that of a butler, because fun fact; he was indeed a butler. 

"It is just a common tale in this estate that the lady arbors affection towards our eldest young master. And these days, words spread that lady Avana is exploiting young master Clion to get closer to the other-"

"How dare some mere servants to speak of the lady in such manner?!" Mariel exploded, expressing her distaste quite openly. 

"Mi'lady, shall I cut every servant's throat in this estate?" Clerivan said, once again threatening to use his sword to spill blood. 

Avy gestured for the two of them to stop but did not take her eyes away from the butler who said some brave words in front of her. "Father wouldn't like that kind of headline in tomorrow's newspapers, Revie. Give it a rest," she started, keeping her servants from taking any kind of actions, "But I no longer have feelings for your young master. My affection has now become no more than history and I suggest that you tell everyone that." 

She was surely cringing inside when she said those words, but it's better than people thinking she still has a crush on a man with an attitude problem and anger issues. she seriously cannot comprehend why the original Avy liked him in the first place, how is he likable anyway? The only things he contributed to Avy's life were depression and insecurity. Maybe he was indeed a great match for the protagonist, a rich heir with life issues and a cure for all goodie-two-shoes. The author should've just taped them together and thrown them somewhere in a ditch to make Avy's life more bearable somehow. 

"I see. That is indeed a surprise. I will make sure to pass on the message, My Lady. I really am sorry for being rude."

Avy did not answer him and just looked at the boy who was sleeping on the bed in front of her. He did not seem like he was in pain, the same innocence can be traced in his resting expression just like how unbelievably pure he is when awake. 

"It is human nature to judge others even without getting to know them personally. As much as it is annoying, I find it irrelevant." she breathed in comfortably and stood up throwing the sleeping child one last glance before turning to Craye once again. 

"I just came here to know if this little thing is faring well," she stated as her eyes stared sharper at the butler. "Not to exploit his innocence, as you can see." there was venom in her words, Craye was able to get what she meant and was about to open his mouth to speak when another voice did before him.