Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

"No, really you weren't. She is all kinds of messed up, man."

"You might be right about that, but I see something in her that none of you guys see. There's something deep inside her that's different to her tough exterior. It might be very deep inside, but I can see it. I see myself in her. What kind of person would I be if I didn't try to help someone who's in the same position I was in? I've got first hand experience of how anger eats you up, so I should be better equipped to help her."

"Dude, I don't think anyone can help her. She doesn't want to be helped. There's a world of difference between you and her. At least you acknowledged something was wrong. You knew you couldn't keep on the way you were going. There's only so many people you can fight and get a free pass, especially in this small town."

"It took me a while to realize that as well. I will keep trying until there really isn't any hope. As they say, where there's life there's hope. She's still alive, so I'm not giving up just yet. I'll help clean the stalls and work with Lou on one of the young stock before heading back out to Ariya. Let me know when Brad gets here."

"Will do. I'll grab Todd and we'll go out now."

"Take the shotgun with you, just in case."

He nods and heads for the barn, while I dry the last few plates.

It doesn't take too long for Lou and I to finish in the barn. As we're mucking out the last stalls, I say, "How you doing, Lou?"

"I'm ok."

"Sure? Not as nervous since Ariya moved out of the house?"

"I sort of got used to her being here to be honest. She never hurt me and I didn't worry so much after that night on the cattle drive."

"You know she won't hurt you, right?"

"I sort of believe her. I mean, she hasn't done anything to me so far. It seems like she hates Todd though."

"Yeah, that's an understatement. He needs to learn to keep his mouth shut though."

"I know. As long as I don't say anything to upset her, I should be fine, right?"

"You shouldn't have to walk on egg shells round her, Lou. You're getting braver though, I've noticed it recently. Is that because of Ariya?"

She nods sheepishly, "Since she told Todd off for speaking to me like that, I've felt like she might have my back a bit. That's stupid, right?"

"Not at all. I truly believe she didn't like the way he spoke to you. I know she said it was just an excuse to hurt him, but I don't think that was the full story. She wants you to stand up for yourself and not let him walk all over you. I don't agree with her on much, but on that I do. I know that's tough for you."

"Do you think I'll ever be brave like she is?"

"You don't want to be like Ariya, trust me. She's got her own issues to deal with, just like you have. They might not be the same, but they're definitely affecting her life. Getting over what Emmett did isn't going to happen overnight, Lou. Just give it time and don't give up."

Emmett is Lou's ex boyfriend. He's a scumbag and I don't know what she ever saw in him. He was a bit too happy with his fists and he used them on her a few times. She turned up on my doorstep after he'd laid into her for the third or fourth time. She didn't want to go to her brother, Noah, so she came running to me. I went to school with Noah and knowing what he's like, he would have found Emmett and pounded his face in. It look Lou a lot of begging to get me to back down from doing the same. She's been staying with me since Noah went to study in the UK. She's definitely better than she was. I know it didn't go on for very long, but the whole thing really knocked her confidence. Mike and I have been trying to build it up ever since.