chapter twenty-one.

Start from the beginning

      He pushed the female off of him- roughly- and shook his head. "Good luck with the psycho, O'Malley." And then he left, slamming the door shut behind him.

៚ ......... ˁᱸᲲᱸˀ ............ ༄

     "How bad is it?" The Chief asked the two residents as they started wheeling Burke into the ER. 

      "Uh, GSW to the right shoulder. He's lost a lot of blood." Bailey answered quickly. 

     "Alright. You two get him to trauma one and keep the blinds closed. Yang is on the floor."

     Jamie sighed. She knew what that meant. "Well shit." She cursed. 

     As the wheeled him into the designated room, Burke tried to protest, sitting up, as Jamie tried to find a heartbeat and she quickly sat him back. "Preston, don't make me sedate you because I will. Lay back down." She told him sternly.

     "I'm fine," He protested once more. "I'm fine."

     "You need to lay down. You've lost a lot of blood." Webber added on. 

     "I'm fine. L-let go. I'm fine. I have a patient to go check on."

     Bailey shook her head. "No, no, no. You are the patient right now. Lay down."

     Burke chuckled at that and a look of confusion fell upon his face. "Dr. Bailey... Ace, when did you two get here?"

     "Page Shepherd." The Chief looked Jamie in the eye and she nodded subtly. 

     When Derek finally got there, it was bad timing because not even a second later, Cristina walked in, looking at the man lying down. "You're shot?" She asked in disbelief, standing in the middle of the doorway, her face white as a ghost. 

     "Cristina..." The injured man mumbled, reaching out for the female. 

     "Yang, get back to your patient now!" Jamie slightly yelled at her- not intentionally. She was under a lot of pressure right now and the intern-attending drama could wait. "We've got Preston for now, alright?" And she was gone quicker than she came in. 

     Bailey examined the GSW and shook her head. "Okay, no exit wound."

     "Entry to the upper right shoulder." Derek noted. "Could be lodged into the spine. Okay, let's roll him over."

     "Easy," Webber warned as Burke groaned in pain. 

     "Dr. Burke?" The neurosurgeon got his attention. "The bullet is in a dangerous property here, okay? We need to check your hand function."

     "I want you to try and squeeze my fingers, okay?" The Chief told him, putting his fingers near Burke's. But the injured male did no such thing. 

     Cristina barged into the room once more. "They moved my guy upstairs. How is he?" She dived in right away. 

     "I need you to wait outside," Bailey signaled her away. 

     "I'm not going to wait outside," The intern argued before she grabbed her boyfriend's hand at his bedside. "Burke?"

     The male looked between Shepherd and Cristina before asking, "Can we have a moment?"

     Webber sighed before complying. "Only a moment. I don't want to waste any time, okay?" And the rest of the doctors filed out of the room. 

     Jamie leaned against the wall and rubbed her forehead, trying to get rid of the headache that was quickly encroaching on her brain, standing outside the patient's room. "Do you think he's going to be okay? I mean, his whole life- his career- is based on his hand."