chapter 1

01. mrs. montgomery

•—✽—✽—✽—•

present day — 2018

IF THERE WAS ONE THING PAIGE HATED, other than people that should be sent to jail for being the worst of the worst, it was rain. Which was pretty mundane compared to the first thing on her 'Top Ten Things to Hate' list. But it was true, she always despised it. Especially when she got spontaneously rained on or had to walk through the rain. Even after it stopped, the humidity was worse.

Overall, the rain was not her strong suit. So it was no mystery that Detective Paige Montgomery was not happy that morning when she got out of her car and had to run towards the police department to get out of the storm.

"What's with the hair?" She heard someone ask behind her. After booking it through the parking lot her hair was less than ideal compared to how she had it before she left her house. It was once perfect just the way she liked it but obviously, the weather had other plans and it was no longer that.

"Bite me," Paige said as she turned to see Dick walking beside her. "I hate—"

"—the rain? Yeah, how many times are you gonna mention it?"

"Until you stop bugging me about it." The two rolled their eyes as they made it over to their desks that were in front of each other. Paige could see Dick and Dick could see Paige. It was an ideal situation for staring contests which they both had way too often when they wanted to show who was more in control than the other.

It was more of a pride thing really cause neither of them would back down until someone came around to tell them to knock it off. It was childish but neither of them cared to admit it.

"Detective Grayson?" They heard as a blonde woman stood in front of them with her hand out, "Amy Rohrbach. Transfer from Oakland." Paige saw Dick hesitate before shaking her hand. Slight confusion was dancing around in his eyes that anyone who wasn't paying attention wouldn't have noticed. "I'm your new partner."

There it is. Paige chuckled to herself mentally, the only physical sign of her amusement being a small grin on her face as she walked around the woman to get to her desk.

"Right. The Captain mentioned," Dick said trying to sound as nice as possible but the look of disgust on his face didn't really sell it all that well.

"It's a pleasure," Amy said, but even she was no longer convinced that it would be much of a pleasure.

"I'd be careful with this one," Paige began as she drank from her coffee cup, "He's quite the handful." The two had been partners and were actually able to successfully work together without wanting to rip each other's throats out after either of them made a snarky comment. But, Paige had gotten a new partner, one that was rather new to the job so she felt as though she was training them rather than working with them.

Grayson gave her a pointed look as she returned one back before breaking away and turning back to Amy. "I read your file. You seem to know what you're doing. You keep doing your thing, I'll keep doing my thing. We'll be good." Paige shook her head in disappointment as he walked over to his desk.

"What?" He asked, noticing the disapproving look on her face as her arms crossed.

"You're an asshole." Without saying anything, he pulled out a sheet of paper from one of the desk drawers before adding a tally mark to his running list of 'Times Paige Has Called Me An Asshole'. "What am I at?"

Pausing, he scanned over the sheet to count. "Five hundred thirty-five," he said as a proud smirk grew on her face.

"Ok, but in all honesty, you should give her a shot," She said as Dick sighed, rolling his eyes. "I'm serious. She seems like a nice person."