Chapter 20: 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘗𝘳𝘰𝘧𝘦𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘭 𝘗𝘪𝘭𝘰𝘵

Beginne am Anfang

He smiles, "No need to thank me, Stirrups. And we can forgo the formalities. Right now we're a team. We're equal in the air. You got that?"

I grin, "Yessir."

"What do you say we get this baby in the sky?"

I nod enthusiastically.

Together we climb into the cockpit and strap in. The technicians below start us up and scramble to unhook any attachments before we roll out.

"Canopy clear?"

"Clear!" I jam the button and the canopy lowers over us, officially sealing us in a sauna. I let out a shaky breath, "Damn, it's hot in here."

"I forgot how bad it can get," Viper wheezes.

"Makes you love a cold shower."

"Couldn't have said it better myself."

Viper lines us up on the runway. The marshaller flags us down, giving the appropriate signals. I wait patiently for him to give the all clear. Finally, we get the signal, and Viper eases us into 'drive.' We roll down the runway, gaining speed, catching that piercing whistle of wind on our wings and then he pulls up. We soar over the edge, climbing into the sky. He laughs.

"I've missed this!"

I don't have the heart to laugh.

It feels like he stole the words right out of my mouth.

I've been missing piloting for months now.

Will I have to wait as long as Viper to get that rush again?

"Are our wingmen in the air?"

I glance at the radars, "Not yet..."

It takes an estimated five minutes for Ice and Slider to join us. They fall in on our 9 and salute us through the canopy.

"It's an honor to fly with you today, sir," Iceman drawls.

Gag. Honestly. Ice might be a solid pilot, but he's as slippery as a fish. Always kissing up to everyone. He's the total opposite of Maverick. Mav is suave, reckless, and daring. Iceman hides in his little box, playing by the book to the point where I fear someday, when reality comes knocking, that book is gonna be the end of him. Unlike Maverick, who needs some respect for rules, and Ice, who needs to learn to live outside the rules when necessary, I've got both down. When I fly, I fly. I do loops, inverts, and go dark, falling through the sky if I have to. I've pissed off a lot of aviators and impressed a good deal more. Vixen always said I had ten times more gall in the air and she's right. I did. I was the queen of the sky. I played by the rules when they applied and scrapped them when they were roadblocks.

Maybe it's bragging to say it, but I'm better than Maverick and Ice.

Vixen whistles lowly, don't tell that to your boyfriend.

I grin behind the mask. Never.

Nothing against Maverick. I love him, I do. He's a brilliant pilot and he's got so much potential.

But I'm sure if I asked him who the best pilot was he'd point at himself.

Anyone would.

"Don't get too starstruck," Viper forewarns our wingmen, "I haven't been in a cockpit for longer than I care to admit. I wouldn't get your hopes up."

Iceman's cool chuckle fizzles through the coms.

"Today we have three bogies to watch out for."

"Three?" Slider exclaims.