Chapter 16: Rehabilitation

Start from the beginning

You had done it so quickly, he believed he could do the same. That was until Aoi got the first strike on him. You had to stifle your laugh at the sight of his shocked face. The idea of it was simple, stopping the other person from picking up a cup while you splash them with another. But it was very different when you actually have to do it, an easier said than done type of task. Not only that, but actively using his arms at such a speed was hard and straining on his healing muscles. 

The two sat there for hours, Tanjiro finally getting Aoi once before swapping with Inosuke. You weren't there to witness it, as after a few minutes of watching them play Slap with the cups you had to go do your rounds for both wards (as Aoi was currently with Tanjiro.) Tanjiro and Inosuke would have to stay doing both the stretching and cup exercise at least till they could complete it at a faster pace before moving on to the game of tag. You and Aoi knew that as easy as it was for Tanjiro to walk around, his reaction to the stretching made it clear that his legs needed a few more days of rest before he could run around. Inosuke however could probably go at it right away as his neck had mostly healed.

You had taken some time to talk to Zenitsu as you did said rounds. Letting him know that the recovery training was probably one of the best ways to get back out there. Zenitsu had let out a whine, something about not wanting to be alone in the ward while the other two were already up and on their feet. You sent him a warm smile that he basically melted at. "Don't worry, I'll be doing my rounds as they train." You thought you could see imaginary hearts floating by his head as he turned into a blubbering mess at your kindness. 

The next time the Zenitsu saw you, Tanjiro and Inosuke were dragging their feet behind them, drained of their energy with limbs practically numb.

Zenitsu screeched. "What's wrong with them?! Is the rehabilitation training that hard?" You could only cover your mouth to dampen your laughter. Tanjiro plopped face first into his designated bed. There wasn't much you could say as Zenitsu hounded Tanjiro to tell him about the recovery training, Inosuke silent as ever while doing the same as Tanjiro.

~~~~~

The next few days followed the same routine.

Inosuke and Tanjiro made their way to continue their rehabilitation training to regain their strength, as you made sure to converse with Zenitsu so that he wasn't lonely while the boys were gone.

It was the start of the eighth day of the rehabilitation training that Zenitsu got to join the other two. The three of them (with Zenitsu trembling while holding onto Tanjiro's gi) made their way into the training room.

At the moment, none of them could spot you (or Tsuyuri) in the room as Aoi went over and explained what the training would consist of once more for Zenitsu's sake. Tanjiro and Inosuke were surprised that you weren't there. As most days you would join in watching and cheering them on. Even committing yourself to joining them and doing all the exercises again with them. 

As Zenitsu grabbed a hold of Inosuke and Tanjiro and dragged them away to give talk to them for a moment, you had finally made you way back into the training room along side Tsuyuri. Both of your faces were flushed and your bodies were covered in sweat.

Aoi only crossed her arms as she faced the two of you, Kiyo, Sumi and Naho mimicking her. Her eyebrows rose as you bowed in apology. "Sorry Aoi-san! We didn't keep track of time during our spar." She still had yet to say anything as Tsuyuri took this moment to wipe the excess sweat from her and sat down by the table covered with cups of tea.