Tug-of-War for itty-bitty Billy

Start from the beginning

-------

The smoke faded.

Tiny little Billy dusted the ashes off his shoulders and skipped over to Clark

Tiny little Billy dusted the ashes off his shoulders and skipped over to Clark. "What's up?"

Clark couldn't get over how that tiny scrawny adorable little boy could, and did on a few occasions, punch out Superman.

He had come to deeply respect this feral, fiercely independent, pure hearted child he had grown so fond of.

His first instinct when he found the boy was an orphan who was practically raising himself, was to adopt him.

While Billy readily accepted his friendship, he was vehemently against adoption.

The boy's sudden change of heart was shocking yet welcome. Clark was honored, actually.

Shaking his head, he pointed at the papers on his table.

"I tried to adopt you. It's a lot more complicated than we thought," the big man ran his hands through his hair.

"I need to be in Fawcett. I rented my own apartment in Fawcett and have a good paying job there so I can support myself," Billy's little nose crinkled as he frowned.

"Well, as a single guy with a writer's pay, who has never fostered before, I'm fighting a losing battle against Bruce Wayne, billionaire, foster dad of goodness knows how many children with top lawyers at his beck and call," groaned Clark.

"Superman fighting Batman over who gets to adopt Captain Marvel," Billy gave Clark a cheeky grin as he scrambled onto the big man's lap, snuggling up against his big bro.

"You proposing to Lois anytime soon?" The little boy's brilliant blue puppy eyes twinkled with mischief.

"Still haven't figured out how to go about it," Clark's cheeks felt hot.

"In other words, you're too chicken," the little boy looked sagely into his eyes. "She's real nice and perfect for you."

"She likes you too and will do whatever she can to help me adopt you," he ruffled the child's hair.

"She knows who I am?" Billy's eyebrows shot up.

"I haven't told her about Captain Marvel. She just knows you don't want the public life of a Wayne or to move to Gotham. Your secret identity is for you to tell, and only if you want to.

The little boy looked deep in thought. He was far more mature than most adults.

"So a couple who has fostered children before has a better chance than a single father?" Billy pondered. "I won't be any trouble. I can take care of myself. But as long as I'm on my own, Bruce will bulldoze his way into adopting me."