"i went to his place but i couldn't figure out what'd happened because he looked like he was going to take off if anyone even dared to ask what was wrong. his sister told me to come back another time so i left five minutes after i'd arrived." he shrugged.

jaemin looked up from the floor to jeno then jogged up the stairs.

while jaemin was gone, the atmosphere downstairs was tense. mark was seated opposite hyerin with his arms crossed and focus was solely on the wooden table hardly blinking. renjun was basically the same and chenle was just looking around at his friends acting like they were at a funeral.

"do you guys want to play uno?" jisung's small voice came out in the silence as he lifted the cards in front of his face.

everyone's heads turned in his direction.

"fuck it, why not?" jeno motioned for jisung to give him the cards.

jaemin came downstairs just in time to join the start of the game and half way through, hyerin excused herself to go to the bathroom but found donghyuck still inside.

his dark brown hair was wet and droplets of water fell dampening his plain black hoodie. he stood in front of the mirror with the first aid kit opened and the majority of the contents spilled on the counter and sink.

"are you just going to stand there and fucking stare at me?" his voice was low and gravelly.

"i need to take a piss and jaemin's house only has one bathroom. you're occupying it."

he dropped the cotton ball he was using and walked out.

"bathroom's all yours, your highness," he spoke, sarcastically.

she closed the door and he leaned on the wall beside it waiting for her to come out.

as she exited, they made eye contact for a split second before he zoomed into the bathroom. hyerin wanted to walk away but instead she spun to face him.

"what are you staring at?" he could see her through the mirror.

"an idiot." she approached him. "let me do that for you."

"i'm doing it just fine," he mumbled in protest.

"would it kill you to let someone help you out every once in a while?"

"i don't want you to help me."

she sighed. "lee donghyuck, please."

he looked at her through the mirror and exhaled through his nostrils, facing her.

hyerin took care of him, like she used to back when he got into fights, he'd always been one to stir up trouble and hyerin was always the one to sort him out.

she placed her hand under his chin to hold his face in place as she took care of his busted lip.

"you're distracting me," she mumbled, uncomfortable by his intense glare on her.

"sorry," he mumbled and turned his attention elsewhere.

the silence continued.

"can i ask what happened?" she whispered, careful with her words.

he shrugged. "just some son of a bitch getting what he deserved." he picked at the bracelet on his wrist.

she'd noticed the others also had the same one.

"there. you're good to go," she stuck a plaster on his cheek.

he leaned off the counter and turned around to clear up the supplies.

"do i not get a thank you?"

"i didn't force you into taking care of me, did i?"

she pursed her lips and walked out to check on the guys downstairs.

just as she stepped foot out of the bathroom, she heard a sigh.

"thank you."

a slight smile fell onto her lips and she jogged down the stairs back to the guys.

"oh, there you are."

"i figured donghyuck would've thrown you out the window since you were taking so long," chenle mumbled.

she snickered. "surprise, we were able to be around each other for more than ten seconds."

that earned a happy smile from jaemin who attempted to hide it by turning around but hyerin saw it.

"i think i should go home. it's getting a bit late," she announced.

renjun faced her. "you're not going to stay for dinner?"

she shook her head. "thank you for the invite but next time? i had a lot of fun with you guys today."

it felt like old times...

"come here." jisung pulled her into a hug.

it turned into a group hug shortly thereafter and hyerin was glad she didn't suffer from claustrophobia.

jaemin drove her home and left when she was through the front door.

"i'm home!" she yelled to make her presence know. she didn't get a response but as she walked further into the house she could hear some drunken talk coming from the kitchen.

her uncle was sat on the table with a downed bottle of some alcohol hyerin couldn't make out and a picture frame in front of him.

"no, no, no." she removed the bottle from his hand and placed it in the sink going back to her rosy-cheeked uncle.

"hyerinnnn!"

there was no way she could carry him up the stairs so she laid him on the couch. just as she went to get him some medicine for the hangover and a glass of water, he was passed out with tear drops stained on his cheeks.

she relaxed her shoulders and placed it on the coffee table so he could take them in the morning and placed a blanket over him. she walked back into the kitchen and picked up the frame placing it back on top of his closet in his room.

"i hope you're resting well, gyul," she wished with a soft smile before turning around to look at his room to see if anything needed washing. she took the time to remove a suit for him to wear tomorrow since he hadn't done it today then she closed the door behind her and went to take care of herself.