Which brings me to now. I'd abandoned hitting my head against the wheel, and had clambered out of my car, leaning against it. There I waited, in half hope half dread, unable to take my eyes off the door, waiting for Adriana.

People littered the sidewalk, either stumbling out of the restaurant looking for their next party venue, or casually walking in to take up their reservation. A few people stood outside smoking cigarettes.

And then there she was. The scene played out in slow motion as she opened the door, and the wind whipped her hair. I'd know her anywhere.

My mouth dried.

She was f*cking stunning in a little black dress, aptly named as it was leaving very little to my imagination right now. Sheer at the top, it clung to every curve, dipping low into her chest and falling just below the swell of her perfect, peachy behind. I should know. I'd stared at it enough over the past seven years.

The heels she was wearing made her sky high as she teetered out of the restaurant and she'd tucked her hair behind her ear, pinned it back almost, showing off her gorgeous slender neck and perfect collarbone.

The swipe of my tongue against my lips was involuntary. God, the things I'd like to do to---

My lascivious thought died half formed in my head, my body tensing.

She was crying. I could see it now she'd stepped further out of the restaurant. Instantly, my blood boiled. What the hell had happened tonight?

Suddenly she spotted me, and I could barely react as she barrelled towards me, threw herself into my arms and began sobbing on my shoulder.

My heart sank into my stomach as I stroked her hair, pulling her closer to me, trying not to get turned on by the very fact she was in my arms again. Now is not the time, Haywood.

Barely coherent, she was crying about how grateful she was that I was here. Her makeup was smudged around her eyes, her lipstick bleeding at the edges, and her expression was breaking my heart. Had he done this to her? Where the hell was the man who was meant to be taking care of her?

But all of that was for later. I had bigger fish to fry, better priorities. Like getting my beautiful girl home, warm and safe.

I dismissed the thought, and helped my angel into the car.

*****

"I don't want to interrupt whatever you've got---"

Adriana shuffled in the passenger seat, uncomfortable with my suggestion of going upstairs to my place.

Oh sweetheart. Her half-sentence hung between us in the air for a moment. She knew. She knew me all too well. That I'd had more women than I could keep track of. 

But suddenly that made me feel uncomfortable. I didn't want anyone else, not really. All the women I'd had, as overflowing with sex appeal as they'd been, were just me trying to fill an Adriana-shaped hole. The one woman I wanted but couldn't have.

It was only her. But how could she possibly know that?

"Adriana, I do not have a woman in my apartment, I would never disrespect you by bringing you to my apartment if a woman was there."

And it was true. My conquests were just that - conquests. A woman I took to bed and I always knew the score: just sex. Of course, that never stopped any of them getting ideas about more than that.

But they were always stopped dead in their tracks. After all, I didn't want a future with anyone if it wasn't Adriana. That was clear.

She protested for a while, of course, that was in her independent nature, but soon enough she was getting out of the car - her petite hand briefly in mine to help her balance.