Daddy Long-Legs

Daddy Long-Legs are easily one of the most recognizable arachnids there are, with their signature freakishly long legs.

Daddy Long-Legs are not actually spiders, despite common myth. They catch flying insects to eat, but they do not spin webs and are not able to create silk.

These arachnids are also called 'Harvestmen' spiders, or identified by their order, Opiliones.

Daddy Long-Legs can grow to substantial size, to the point where they can eat small rodents, lizards, and fish. They're great for pest control and are totally harmless to humans.

Unfortunately, they still have a very creepy appearance, and though they are not technically spiders, people seem to think they are.

Like most, if not all, arachnids, these creatures have a very short lifespan. Males die after mating, and after the female lays, she too dies.

The female can keep a male's sperm in her body for a freakishly long time, so as to keep the population going even after her mate has died.

A crazy 20-30 eggs are fertilized by just one male. When they are laid, the female, like most other female arachnids, wrap their eggs in silk, though the silk that Daddy Long-Legs' use is typically not their own.

Fun fact: Daddy Long-Legs are venomous, but cannot pierce the human flesh, so they are harmless.

Common myth: The most common myth is that Daddy Long-Legs' are spiders, but I've already debunked that.