ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴛᴡᴏ | ғʟɪʀᴛɪɴɢ?

Start from the beginning

      Julie did in fact sub in for under four minutes, and she hated it. She will probably always hate playing against the boys. When class was over, Julie and her friends went to the girl's locker room to shower and change. Julie took a shower in the corner, away from her other friends so she could think.

      As she washed her sweaty hair, Julie tried not to think about the screeching she heard with the kids yesterday, and in her dreams last night. She wanted to focus on how to ask Steve to hang out. To talk to him. She figured they both needed it. When she had braided her hair over her shoulders and put her grey jeans and orange checkered shirt on with her converse, Julie still didn't have a clue how to talk to Steve.

      It turned out that she didn't have to, because as she exited the locker room, Steve was there waiting for her. "Hey." he said, pushing himself off the wall.

      "Hi. What's up?" Julie asked, walking down the halls with Steve at her side.

      Steve scratched the back of his neck, trying to figure out how to word what he wanted to say to Julie. "W-we have that history test tomorrow, right?" Julie nodded. "I want to get my grades up for that class before the end of the semester, so I was wondering if you wanted to come over tonight and help me study?" he finally got it out.

      "Uh, sure. What time?" Julie asked as they arrived at her locker.

      "After school? I can take you there and drop you off." Steve offered, and Julie had to fight to not let a smile emerge.

      "Okay. Sounds good."

      "Great. See you." Steve said, walking off to his next class.

      Julie grabbed her books for her next few classes, finally allowing her stoic face to break out into a smile. Steve Harrington invited her to his house. Julie was so distracted that she walked right into Billy as she attempted to go to class.

      "What is wrong with you?" he growled, pushing his sister aside.

      "Sorry." Julie mumbled, going to walk off, but stopped. "I'm going to a friend's house after school today. I'll be back before dinner, if anyone at home cares." she said, walking away quickly before she could be interrogated by Billy.

•••

      Julie was waiting outside that afternoon for Steve to come out, but as usual, he was taking forever. She was listening to Queen, like she always did after school. Julie checked her watch again, groaning and tapping her foot against the concrete repititively. "Aww, are you waiting for me?" Steve's voice was muffled outside of Julie's headphones. She removed them and looked at Steve skeptically.

      "I was promised a ride. Does that still stand?" she asked, following behind Steve as he walked to his car with his keys around his fingers.

      "Of course. I am a man of my word." Steve said, turning around and walking backwards, spreading his arms dramatically.

      Julie eyed him with amusment clear in her eyes. "Careful." she warned as Steve tripped and almost fell.

      Steve mocked her as they arrived at his car. He walked to the passenger side and opened the door. "I'm not driving." Julie said, stopping in front of Steve's car.

      "I'm aware. You probably drive like a mad-woman." Steve shrugged, leaning against the open door.

      "So, why are you standing there?"

      "Jesus, Julie. I'm trying to be nice and open the door for you." the teen said.

      "Oh. Okay." Julie said quietly, moving her feet and going over to her side, ducking around Steve and sliding into his car. Steve shut the door for her and walked to the driver's side, pulling himself in. They both buckled their seatbelts and Steve started the car, pulling out of the parking lot.