"Jee raha hun tere pyaar main"

Virat is on his way to the police station when he gets a call to go to the hospital to record the statement of an accident victim. He has recently joined duty after his suspension in the Sada and Shruti case. To pass time, he had volunteered at Samrat’s orphanage.

Wo Lams Tera Wo Teri Khushbu
Ab Tak Hai Mere Ehsaas Mein
Saanso Ka Chalna Teri Wajah Se
Main Jee Raha Hu Tere Pyar Mein
Saiyyonee Tere Pyar Mein
Yaadon Ke Aitbaar Mein
Jiyunga Intezaar Mein
Kiya Faisla Kiya Faisla

The car stereo is playing Sayonee and Virat is thinking about Sai. The time in Mahabaleshwar, away from home and the suspension had given him ample time to think about his actions. He had gone back to living in Chavan Niwas after his return but it seems like nobody has forgiven him for betraying his uniform and more importantly divorcing Sai. 

Wo Saari Baatein Wo Beete Lamhein
Khwabon Khayalon Mein Hai Rawa
Tera Tabbasum Teri Adayein
Wo Ankahi Teri Daastan
Wo Khula Khula Aasman
Wo Sukoon Ka Sama
Saiyyonee Tere Pyar Mein
Yaadon Ke Aitbaar Mein
Jiyunga Intezaar Mein
Kiya Faisla Kiya Faisla

His Sai, even though he can't call her that now. The initial pain and anger that he felt on her for leaving him had subsided into regret for not opening up to her when there was time. After Shruti was taken into custody, he was given suspension orders, a huge blot on an otherwise illustrious career. Thinking to himself, Virat wonders, 
“Kyun mere liye Sada vo diya hua vaada itna jaruri ho gaya ki maine sochna band kar diya? Apne career, apne parivar se dur ho gaya.. Aur meri Sai…” a sigh escapes him just thinking about her.
Virat is on the verge of tears when he reaches the hospital, but he composes himself and prepares to get down for the task in hand.

However, the parking lot reminds him of Valentine's Day, the steps of Sai’s first day of college when he fed her the chocolate. Collecting himself, Virat starts walking to interview the accident victim, wondering whether he would meet Sai somewhere today.

The victim is being treated and he records the statement but since the Doctor is busy, he is asked to wait. Virat decides to spend the time in the cafeteria knowing well that his studious Sai will most probably be in the library.

As soon as he enters the cafeteria though, he realises how wrong he is. 8 months, 19 hours and 23 minutes after she walked away from him, there she is, sitting in the cafeteria with another man, both of them peering in the file on the table. Their heads a little closer than he would have liked, he realises with irritation. His eyes fall on Sai and he notices her pretty pink kurti and jeans, tiny danglings in her ears, hair tied up in a ponytail, flooding him with memories of Gadchiroli days. She looks carefree and calm, a warm glow on her face, eagerly looking at the person in front of her, absorbing all his words with a gentle smile and appreciative eyes. Too eager probably, his annoyance rising another level.

The cafeteria is surprisingly vacant though and he tries to avoid them only for her to look up at him. At him… through him… a familiarity in her eyes… or is he imagining all this.

“Are Virat? Tu hi hai na?” Somebody calls him suddenly and his eyes dart to the source.
The face looks familiar and he can't place it but notices the place this man is occupying, too close .. too close to Sai.
“Pehchaana nahi kya? Kaisa dost hai tu?”
Virat is still trying to recall but getting distracted by the proximity of this man to Sai.
“Are main Sumit.. 10th class tak saath main padhe hai”
And suddenly, Virat remembers, moves to the table to talk to him.
“Kaisa hai? Koi Khabar nahi?” asks Sumit.
“Thik hun yaar.. Tu bata? Kaisa hai? Aur yahan kaise?”
“Are main consultation ke liye aaya tha.. Surgeon ban gaya hun”
Virat feels envy rising in him. His friend Sumit Pathak, a tall lanky fellow now looking much dashing, standing next to Sai. The pair looking so good together.

The pair??? What are you thinking Virat? Sai is looking good with Sumit? Dimaag to thik hai tera… Virat mentally curses himself, staring at Sai.

“Are kahan kho gaya? Kuch to bol”
“Sorry .. sorry.. Purani yaadon main kho gyaa tha…” once again eyeing Sai. 
Sai turns her gaze to the file in front of her.
“Kaisa hai? Suna hai ACP ban gaya hai”
“Haan yaar.. Tu bata Nagpur kab aaya?”
“Bas abhi recently… ab soch raha hun settle ho jau” and with that Sumit looks at Sai. Virat notices the fondness in his eyes and the object of their attention.
Sai, pretending to be engrossed in reading the file, is blissfully unaware of what has transpired, shuffles her feet in order to leave.
“Are sorry… introduce karna bhul gaya… inse milo… ye hai….”
“Dr. Sai Kamal Joshi”... Virat immediately reacts, surprising Sumit and Sai equally.
“Oh.. tum dono ek dusre ko jaante ho kya??”
Sai looks at Virat, hesitation written clearly on her face but quickly replies,
“Ye mere Aaba ke student hai”

Bas Aaba ke student? Tumhara mera sirf yahi rishta bacha hai kya Sai? Thinks Virat to himself.

To avoid further conversation, Sai looks at Sumit and asks him,
“Dr. Sumit… Thank you for explaining everything so clearly, it would be a pleasure learning from you.. If you don't mind, main jau? Aapke dost mile hai.. Aap baat kijiye”
“Are nahi Sai… “
Sai.. already??? The green eyed monster raises his head… 
“Mujhe ek aur jagah jaana hai.. Chalta hun main bhi… I look forward to working with you” Sumit says with an unusually eager smile…
“Virat… sorry dost.. Aaj time nahi hai… agar free hai to lets walk… number de… lets catch up”
As all three leave the cafeteria, Virat notices how Sumit walks ahead and chivalrously opens the door for Sai. She smiles, passes through and waves him back without even a passing glance at him. 
A sharp pain emanating in his heart, Virat looks at her retreating figure, only to be shocked by Sumits question…
“Cute hai yaar ye ladki… Status pata hai kya? Bata na kuch?”