Chapter Six: Padmé and Obi-Wan [Part Three]

TWO YEARS LATER

PADMÉ'S POV

"No, Luke!" I huffed as I tried to focus on not burning dinner. "I said no force-wielding in the house! You too, Leia! Don't make me get Ben!"

"Twelve-year-olds are certainly a handful." I heard Obi-Wan chuckle as he entered the room, and immediately the twins ceased their shenanigans. I sighed. "Why do they always stop when you just walk in?"

Obi-Wan shrugged amusingly. "They are children. They are okay. I think as long they don't break anything—" he looked at the twins, who averted their eyes in a nonconspicous way. "they may practice their skills. But Luke, Leia," he called them over with a wave of two fingers, in which they obeyed. Once they stood toe to toe with him, he crossed his arms and said firmly, "Listen to your mother when she asks you to do something."

"Yes, Ben." the twins nodded and then looked to me in unison. I sighed again. "Help set the table, both of you." While they did that, I gestured Obi-Wan over to the side.

"Would you like to go with me to the market tomorrow? I heard there was a sale on Meiloorun mangos." I was expecting his face to light up with excitement. He always enjoyed going into town and saying hello to the locals who had taken us in so many years ago. However, when he grimaced, I touched his arm in concern. "What is it, Obi—Ben?" I caught myself with the children nearby.

"Yesterday," Obi-Wan leaned in closer so the twins wouldn't overhear. "I sensed an odd presence, one I think we should avoid. I'm not sure what, I'm afraid."

"So you want to avoid the market where there are people, is that it?"

"It may be safer...Then again," Obi-Wan brought his hand to his bearded chin. "Yes, I will go to the market alone and see if I can find any answers. Stay here with the children, just in case."

"Okay." I did not dare to argue. "Be safe."

"Mom! Ben! I think dinner is ready!" Luke called, and suddenly Obi-Wan and I were snapped back into our little world, where it was the four of us, happy together.

Until...

"So when are you going to tell us more about the Jedi, Ben?" Leia spatted at the table, and not in a very lady-like fashion despite my constant reminding. Obi-Wan found it amusing. "I've told you both all that you need to know."

"I don't believe you." Leia stated bluntly. "All you've told us is that the Jedi were peacekeepers who watched over and fought in the Clone Wars throughout the galaxy. Luke and I have learned about the Clone Wars in school and our teacher said the Empire wiped all the Jedi out. Is that true?"

"Yes...I'm afraid it is." The ex-Jedi sipped from his drink. "A terrible fate, indeed."

"So you're technically an outlaw."

"Leia!" I snapped, shocked.

"Mother," Leia only glanced at me before turning her full attention to Obi-Wan. "Also, where is your lightsaber? I know it's the weapon of a Jedi. So where is yours? And do Luke and I get one?"

"Leia, where are you learning all this?" I demanded, but again my stubborn daughter wanted answers from her father-figure. Obi-Wan's face remained calm, like he had expected these questions for a long time. "I've told you and Luke, all your questions will be answered in due time. It's much too early. And no—" he sipped from his drink again. "you both won't be receiving lightsabers." I watched Luke's shoulders drop in disappointment.

"That's not fair." Leia argued, in which her brother reached across and touched her arm. "Leia, I don't think—"

"No, Luke," Leia glared at him. "The teacher at school told us the Jedi were once the most powerful beings in the galaxy, and now they're all gone. Ben here had to be a Jedi who fought in the Clone Wars. It makes sense chronologically-speaking. But you've only trained us using the Force and not to actually defend ourselves. What are you hiding from us? Are we in danger of something? Is that why we live on this planet?"

"Slow down, Leia." Obi-Wan said. "Where is this all coming from?"

"Luke and I found Mother's secret chest in her closet..." Leia admitted in a low voice.

"You did what?!" I gasped.

"Mother, you never told us you used to be a senator of the Republic nor a queen of Naboo!" Leia yelled.

"You didn't need to know!" I becamed frustrated and angry at my daughter. I turned to Luke. "Do you have anything you would like to say?" My son shimmied nervously in his seat, his bottom lip quivered at my fury.

"Padmé, that's enough." Obi-Wan touched my hand. Leia saw this and furrowed her brows. "I don't get it. Who are you? Why are you here, Ben?"

"Leia, I—"

"You're not our father!" the young girl screamed, slamming her hands on the table and shooting to her feet, her chair toppled over. Her and Obi-Wan's eyes locked from the across the table: the contrast of feelings in each was immense, as Leia's raged with confusion while Obi-Wan's weeped with pain. She then stormed off to her and Luke's room. Her brother followed close behind, calling for her to return.

There was a moment of silence at the dinner table. My mouth gaped open, too shocked to sat anything immediately. "S-she didn't mean it, Obi-Wan...." I couldn't find the words to help the situation. The Jedi hung his head as he too rose to his feet.

"I will head for town tonight." he said.

"No, please, stay." I begged.

"Padmé, it's okay."

"I will talk to Leia and Luke. She had no right to say that to you."

"On the contrary, my Lady," Obi-Wan reached out and squeezed my hand, gazing at me with watery eyes. "she has every right." He then headed to his room and began packing.

Once I saw him off, I let go my calm demeanor and marched straight to the twins' room. When I opened their door, they were sitting on their own beds facing each other. They looked at me with frightened expressions. "Leia Amadala, how could you say such a thing to Ben?! After all he's done for you!?"

"Am I wrong, Mother?" Leia questioned. "Is Ben our real father?"

"No, he's not your biological father," I stated, seating myself next to Luke, across from Leia. "But, Leia, Luke, you two have no idea what Ben has sacrificed to raise you, protect you, and just to be here with the three of us."

"Why won't you tell us, then?" Leia said. "So we can understand."

"You're not ready to know the truth." I sighed. "You both must trust me and Ben that it is for the best."

"If it's for the best, then why did Ben train us how to use the Force?" Leia asked. "Wouldn't it just be better if we were never the wiser?"

"Ben sensed the Force was strong in both of you, that it would be beneficial to train you. He had received my permission to do so two years ago. He is not training you two, however, to be Jedi. He is simply teaching you how to use your special powers. It was safer that way instead of them manifesting wildly."

"Are we dangerous?" Luke whimpered, his big, beautiful eyes looked up at me. My heart ached as I wrapped my arms around him, pulling him close to my ribs and chest. "No, no, my son, you are not dangerous. Don't ever think that."

"But we're not normal either." Leia muttered.

I sighed again. "No, we're not. The four of us...are very far from normal. But that's why we live and grow here, Leia." I reached out for her hand, in which she slowly gave to me. Squeezing them, I forced a smile. "Ben and I wanted to give you both the most happy and normal life we could provide. This has all been for you two. I hope you can understand that. Ben has been so good to us. He may not be your real father, but he's the father you deserve...."

"Mom?" Luke gasped as I began to weep. He hugged me tighter to comfort me. Leia, feeling guilty, climbed over to her brother's bed to embrace me on my other side. "I'm sorry, Mother. I didn't mean to make you upset."

"I know, Leia." I kissed her forehead. "I love you both, very much. I promise, one day, everything will make sense. You just have to be patient just a bit longer."