chapter.5

V.

"You're leaving."

She should have known he would be there; that he would figure it out. He may have been innocent, naive.

But he wasn't an idiot.

"...Yes."

It was hard to say; she had to try several times before the word came out.

He was standing behind her in the doorway, watching her pack everything she would need to live without him. It felt strangely symbolic; as if she was already trying to fill a void she knew would be there.

"I love you."

She should have known that was coming, too. Though the words were soft -- almost afraid -- she felt the weight of them settle across her, the ache deep in her belly that they planted.

Her eyes began to water, and her knuckles went white as she clenched at the shirt she had been folding into her suitcase.

She wouldn't say it in return, she wouldn't.

"I--I know."

Her voice cracked slightly anyways. He must have noticed, clung to it.

"Then stay, please."

There was no longer any attempt from him to keep the desperation out of his voice.

A tear slipped down her cheek.

This was the one thing she couldn't do for him. Clint had asked her to leave, to join him on a mission for who knew how long.
And she couldn't refuse.

She swiped her hand across her face, laid the last of her clothes in the case and zipped it in one swift, harsh motion.

"I can't. I'm sorry, Steve. I have to go."

With that, she brushed past him, never meeting his eyes -- or even looking at him.
If she did, she would never be able to leave.

And she had to leave, if Clint needed her.