TWENTY-FOUR

Through blurry eyes, Jessamine watched the advance to Louise's house. She'd managed to sit up, and was hugging herself, teeth gritted from the onrush of shivers up and down her arms. She hadn't needed to watch, she knew; her jittery limbs were getting worse by the second, signifying their approach. But the way she'd been lying was making her more nauseous, and she worried she might choke if she were to throw up—which she worried she might do at any moment.

The cabin that was once a calm, serene place in the woods during the day gave off an ultra spooky vibe at night. A few lanterns lined the cobbled path delimiting the driveway, and the porch lights were on, too—and Louise was standing in the doorway.

Jessamine gulped, hiccupped, and dropped her arms as Avery parked the car.

"Fuck," he said, breathless. "She knew we were coming, of course. Dude," he nudged Jamie, who was unbuckling his seat-belt, "did you call her?"

Jamie snorted. "Nah, but you should know better; she always knows."

They both got out, but neither made a move to help Jessamine, which she appreciated—she had no intention of getting out. With her fidgety legs, she doubted she could stand; and if she were to try, she had a feeling she'd fall face-first onto the rocky gravel and pass out. The sickness swelling in her gut was harder and harder to hold down, and the pain lancing through her head rendered her eyesight worse by the minute.

She was still hearing things, too; whispers, growls, mumbled sentences that made no sense. Garbled comments in what sounded like another language, but clearly addressing her, as she heard her name once or twice. "Jessamine, Jessamine... Jessamine!"

If she wanted to witness the conversation to happen between a tired-looking Louise—more disheveled than she'd been last time, wearing a night-robe, hair messy, eyes glossy—and the two determined paranormal investigators, she'd need to roll the window down.

She pushed the button and the window slid downward just in time for her to catch the discussion.

"Of course I'm awake," Louise was saying, her voice taut and yet a hint of shakiness to it. "There's something ominous in the air. It woke me. It's close."

"Is it the house?" Avery stood before Louise, half-blocking her with his bulk of a body. He'd crossed his arms, spread his legs, as if to intimidate her; but something told Jessamine Louise wasn't intimidated by anyone.

They'd left the headlights on, blasting over them like spotlights, showing their shadows as disfigured silhouettes that danced around the car and laughed at Jessamine, pointed fingers at her, mocked her for not knowing what to do, how to fix herself.

Louise folded her arms as well, but more in a protective manner, shielding herself from the chill—or something else, who knew? She peered about as if sensing something floating around them, as if a foreboding atmosphere had fallen over them.

"Could be. Whatever it is," she shivered, "it's fucking terrifying. It's a weird energy, boys... not one you should chase."

"We shouldn't chase this?" said Avery, cocking his head. Jessamine couldn't see his expression as he had his back to her, but she imagined him wrinkling his nostrils, assessing the severity of Louise's words. A threat? Or a warning?

At the same time, Jamie, who'd been leaning against the car, spoke up. "Weird? Weird how?"

Louise rubbed her upper arms. "It's hard to explain, it's... not normal. Not human. It's dark energy, it's thirsty, hungry... I don't know if it can be called evil, because I don't know what it is." She glanced towards the car, taking note of Jessamine inside. "I've only ever felt this on two occasions; once about three years ago, and once last month. It's no coincidence... and now you bring her to me? Yeah, I'm awake, and I'm not pleased about this."