Web Shooters

The duo finish their errands and make their way back to the apartment. Claire carries the sewing supplies while Peter walks ahead with his box of who-knows-what from his aunt's house. He unlocks the door and they set their things down on the coffee table to sort through it and get things set up.

While Claire tests the sewing machine, Peter is unpacking the box from May's and pulls out his old Spider-Man suit, which catches her eye.

"Why'd you bring that?" she asks.

He shrugs. "I figured we could use it as a test suit for you while we get your own suit colors worked out. I can modify it for you, but it might take a while."

"I don't mind. As long as I can learn how to be a Spidey."

Peter chuckles at the comment and continues unpacking the box. He sets aside some tools and gets out his original, broken web shooters so he can fix and modify them.

"Okay, I'll let you get to work," Claire sighs. "How do you feel about tomato soup and grilled cheese for lunch?" He practically moans in satisfaction at the idea, which both gives Claire her answer and makes her slightly flustered at the same time. "Well then. I'll get right on it."

By the time Claire is done making lunch, Peter is done with the first web shooter. When she hands him his bowl and plate and sets her own down, he takes her hand and clasps it onto her wrist. Fortunately, it's a perfect fit, so it won't slide down her arm or snag on clothing.

"So, what you want to do with it, is have your palm up when you shoot. Then flick your wrist," he instructs. "Like this." He demonstrates and a string of webbing thwips and hits the wall. He then relaxes his hand and the webbing detaches from the shooter. "Your turn."

Claire takes a deep breath and mimics what Peter did. She aims for the bathroom door down the hall, and thwip! The webbing lands and she grabs the web and pulls, which closes the door. She relaxes her hand and lets the string fall. "Holy shit, I did it!" she half-whispers in disbelief. She turns around, still sitting on the couch, and throws her arms around Peter in a quick hug. "Thanks."

"No problem. Let's eat, then I'll fix and upgrade the other one."

They enjoy lunch, then Peter gets back to work while Claire cleans up the kitchen. The second one gets done, and he puts it on her so she can test it out. He is surprised that they work so well, and slightly mad at himself for not fixing them sooner. He can't help but smile at Claire's excitement over her new gadgets, and he has a perfect idea of where she can learn to 'be a Spidey', as she put it.

"Hey Claire, would you want to go and try those out in a slightly larger area? I know a spot," he offers.

She dramatically collapses on the couch next to him and sighs. "As fun as that sounds, I have a story due tomorrow morning. Plus, after the nightmare last night, I think I'm already pretty drained."

Peter looks over at her and elbows her jokingly. "Maybe after your story is done, then?"

She swats his elbow and laughs. "Yeah, sure." Claire gets on her phone for a minute, then shoots up in a panic and runs into her room, which startles Peter.

"Claire? You okay?" he yells. She comes back and shoves a wad of cash into his hand and he looks down at it, confused. "What's this for?"

"Rent," she answers breathlessly. "Seeing as it's due next week, and I live here now. So, I'm paying rent."

Peter exhales a laugh. "Okay then."

Claire plops back onto the couch and types away on her laptop while Peter starts scrolling through channels on the TV. Almost an hour later, she closes her laptop and falls back into the couch in victory. "Story's done. Do we have anything else to do today?"

"Not that I'm aware of," he admits. "After everything in the past 24 hours, I think we have the afternoon to do whatever we want."

She can't find anything worth watching, so she shuts the TV off and smacks her thighs. "Screw it, let's go."

»«

Peter takes Claire to an abandoned fishing warehouse and teaches her to swing on the webbing. The duo is there for nearly three hours, and though she fell a few times—Peter caught her each time, so there was no physical damage—she had fun and quickly got the hang of it. They get home around 4 PM and walk in the door still giggling about the fun they just had.

"Okay, okay, I feel gross and sweaty after all that," Claire says between laughs. "I need a shower."

Peter swats her away. "Go then, I'll go out and grab something to for a late lunch. You good with sushi?"

"Yep," she yells over her shoulder as she walks to her room. "Don't forget to lock the door on your way out!"

"Yeah yeah. I'm taking the car!" he yells back.

Claire gets out of the shower just as Peter comes back with food. She manages to scamper to her room before he can see her and get flustered again, and she comes back out a few minutes later, clothed and with her still-damp hair in a messy braid down her back.

"What took you so long?" she asks. "Did you go to Japan for the sushi?"

"Shut up," he laughs. "Why don't we look through my movie collection, find something to watch while we eat?"

She shrugs and he pulls the TV cabinet doors open with his web shooters. He shoots at a movie case and yanks it to his hand.

"Back to the Future?" he proposes.

The duo spends the next six hours watching the entire trilogy. They get hungry again around nine, so they brainstorm dinner ideas and eventually settle on pizza and order half Hawaiian, half pepperoni, which arrives right at 10 PM. They enjoy the pizza and goof off for another two hours before they decide to go to bed.