Moving In

It takes Claire nearly the full hour to drive to the apartment, where she finally notices that her leg is no longer emitting that dull pain from earlier. She gets out of her car and slowly sets her left foot on the ground.

She starts to walk around the car, expecting to feel shooting pain when she puts weight on her left leg, but nothing. She hears her phone ding in her car and opens the door to crawl in and grab it. Just as she picks up her phone, she feels a tingling on her scalp and lifts her right foot and sets it down without any thought. When she backs out of her car, she sees that she now has a skateboard trapped under her foot.

"What the—" Claire whispers.

"Sorry!" someone yells from behind her.

Claire laughs and turns around, the tip of her foot still holding the skateboard in place. She looks up and sees a tall, brown-haired man smiling and waving in embarrassment, and she can't help but smile back as she kicks the skateboard to its owner.

»«

Peter skateboards back to his apartment building, excited to meet the girl who might become his new roommate. His excitement blinds him for a moment, as he skates over a curb in front of the handicap space and his skateboard starts rolling straight for a girl's foot, but she catches it before it can hit her.

"Sorry!" he yells out. The dark-haired girl laughs and turns around to look at him. He waves awkwardly, and she kicks his board back to him. It's not until he takes another look at her that he realizes who she is. It can't be her, he thinks. Peter snaps out of his thoughts and picks up his board. He starts walking towards her out of disbelief. "Hey, just checking," he starts. "I didn't hit you, did I?"

The girl giggles and shakes her head and Peter is dumbfounded. There's no way this is the dying girl he saved only a week prior.

"Uh, no. I have good reflexes, I suppose," she answers.

Damn it, it's her. Just my luck, he thinks. "I'm Peter. Again, sorry about the board."

The girl closes her car door and locks it. "Oh, I believe I'm supposed to be meeting you about the apartment. I'm Claire."

Fucking universe is either screwing me over or putting this girl in my path. "Cool, perfect timing then. Shall we head up?"

The girl nods and he guides her to the door.

»«

Claire follows Peter to the apartment, and when they get to the door, she notices that he is nervously fidgeting with his keys.

He's nice, that's a good start, she thinks. His voice is definitely just as gentle as it was before, too.

"Should I be concerned that you can't stop shaking long enough to grab a key?" she jokes.

He laughs nervously in response. "Sorry, I'm just trying to figure out what I can do to repay nearly taking out your ankle."

"Don't worry about it, Peter. I'm okay," Claire promises. "I mean, I was nearly killed outside this building like a week ago, but I'm okay."

Peter pauses. He takes a deep breath and picks the key from the bunch. He unlocks the door and lets it swing open. "After you," he offers.

They walk into the living room-slash-kitchen of the apartment and Peter gently kicks the door closed behind him. "Uh, your room would be first on the left. Mine's across from it. Bathroom is at the end of the hall," he explains quickly. "Feel free to look around. If you like it let me know and I will help you get moved in asap and get you a copy of the key."

Claire opens the door to what could be her room and likes the simplicity of it. A bed, nightstand, and small closet are all she believes she needs for her to exist here. She steps out and hears a click and looks to see what the sound was. Peter lowers his camera and takes the photo out of the slot.

"Sorry," he whispers. "I think it looks good, if you want it."

She smiles and takes the photo from his hand. "Not bad. Are you a photographer?"

Peter nods. "For the Daily Bugle, yeah."

"Are they hiring?" she asks jokingly. "I could use a new job."

"I can ask. So..." he gestures to the rest of the apartment. "What do you think?"

Claire smiles. "I think... I have all my stuff in two bags in my car. Be right back."

Peter laughs under his breath and follows her with his eyes as she leaves the apartment.

She makes it back to her car and pulls her bags out of the backseat, ignoring the crutches that she feels she no longer needs. She hoists the duffel bag onto her shoulder and carries the tote bag on the other. She locks her car, walks back to the buzzer, and uses the code that Peter told her to use earlier. He responds on the intercom.

"That didn't take long. Come on up, roomie."

The door unlocks with a click and Claire lets herself in. Peter meets her halfway up the stairs and offers to take her bags, which she doesn't decline. They make it back to the apartment and he takes her bags to her room and sets them on her bed. He meets her back in the living area.

"So, it's almost seven, and I know I'm getting hungry. Do you like Chinese food?" he asks.

"Chinese food would be great," Claire sighs.

Peter smiles. "Cool. I'll call it in and go get it. You have any preferences?"

Claire pretends to think for a minute and clicks her tongue on the roof of her mouth. "Bourbon chicken and... chow mein, please."

"Solid choices, Stone. You get settled in and I'll be back in twenty."

She smiles at him as he walks out the door, then makes her way to her room and unpacks her clothes. She is plugging in her laptop when Peter comes back with the food.

"Claire! I'm back!" he yells. She meets him in the living room and he hands her two boxes and a pair of chopsticks, takes his, and leaves one box on the coffee table. She raises an eyebrow at him. "Rangoons," he explains through a mouthful of noodles.