Chapter 14 | Movie Night

Start from the beginning

I hear the door click and then my mom pops her head into the room. "What are moms for?" she winks at us. She closes the door and then opens it a second later like she forgot to say something. "By the way, dinner's ready, so please come out and eat," she says.

Sawyer looks down at me in his hold. "I better get going," he mutters before kissing my forehead and pulling away from our hug.

"No, no, Sawyer, don't leave. Stay for dinner, Sage has made you suffer enough today," my mom pipes up, still standing in the doorway of my room. I send her a glare.

Why is she still standing there?

"No I couldn't. I don't want to intrude."

And when did he become so proper?

"Oh shut up." I roll my eyes. "You're staying," I conclude before grabbing his hand and dragging him to the dining room.

"But—"

"Hush. You're not winning this." He raises his free hand in surrender and lets me drag him.

I sit down at my assigned seat at the eight seater table and have Sawyer sit next to me.

My family usually eats the food that my grandma makes during the week, but on days that my grandma doesn't cook, my dad usually makes something for all of us. My grandma didn't make anything today which is why we're having a dinner where we all eat together.

"Papi, what did you make today?" Quinn asks from her seat across from me.

"Carne asada tacos, my love," my dad answers. "Is that okay?"

Quinn smiles. "I love those."

We all sit around the table talking until my dad comes to the table with the meat and the tortillas ready. My mom stands from her seat and brings back all of the condiments that we like to put into our tacos.

When everyone is seated, we all dig in. My mom helps Quinn make her tacos, but other than that everyone is on their own.

As I'm reaching out to grab five tortillas like I usually do, the voices of Jake and Avalon ring through my head.

You're fat.

You're ugly.

Bigger girls like you.

You always have to eat everything.

My hand freezes above the platter. I don't want to be the person they think I am. I don't want to prove them right. I don't want to be the chubby girl everyone sees me as.

I decide on two tortillas instead of five and I fill both of them up with minimal carne asada. I also decide against putting condiments on my tacos. I squeeze a little bit of lemon on both of them and then I'm ready to eat.

I finish both of my tacos and just sit at the table watching everyone eat. I usually don't mind the rule where we all sit at the table until everyone is done, but right now, watching everyone eat as many tacos as they want is really making me feel like shit.

My mom notices me sitting with an empty plate and asks, "Sage, mija, you don't want anymore?"

I shake my head. "I'm full."

I'm still hungry.

"Are you sure? You usually eat more than two."

"Yeah Sage," Avalon adds. "Is everything okay? You usually eat like six."

"Avalon," my mom scolds.

"What? She does."

"I'm fine, really. I had a big lunch." I can feel Sawyer's stare on the side of my head, but I don't dare look at him. He'll know I'm lying.