twenty

Today is the Cousins Beach charity volleyball tournament, in which Taylor's coming back to be Belly's partner. I opted out of participating this year. I wanted to be on the sidelines with everyone else and feel the suspension of watching it. I was stuck on who to root for though. Both of my siblings were playing on opposite teams.

"Sadie, could you go sailing with Connie and Cleveland today? I think the cars are gonna be packed," Susannah asked me. She wasn't wrong. Steven was using mom's car to pick up Shayla and the moms, Jeremiah, Belly, and Taylor were riding in the sedan, which just left Conrad's Jeep.

"Uh.. I don't really do too well with sailing. Just like motion sickness."

"What if she dropped me off at the beach?" Conrad suggested. "Okay, that'll do too. Thanks guys," Susannah got some more stuff for the tournament.

"Pick me up at 12? Please, take care of my car. I'm fully trusting you with it," Conrad instinctively kissed me. "Oh.. um. Sorry," he backed away.

"It's fine. And don't even be a second late, or I'll leave you," I smiled, kissing his cheek. It was cute seeing how flustered he was by kissing me. We haven't made anything official, so I suppose he thought that I didn't want anything to be public.

When I got home, I started making drinks. My own version of a Starbucks refresher or mocktail. "Jere, come try this. Is this refreshing enough."

"This is actually good. I could drink an entire pitcher of this," he ruffled my hair. "You deeply underestimate me, Jere."

"So.. what's going on with you and my brother?" Jeremiah bluntly asked.

"I don't really know. We're not dating, but we're-"

"You're not just friends, and no one else knows about it," he finished for me.

"I'm not trying to keep it a secret, because I'm embarrassed, you know that right? I just wanna figure it out, before we give false hope."

"Yeah, I know. But Conrad's been like in love with you since the second he could see you. He'd never do anything to hurt you. I'm pretty sure that he'd literally take a bullet for you."

"Thanks, Jere. Here, take a cup," I handed him a full cup of the drink.

Taylor was coming back in town for the tournament. I'm praying that it doesn't go as it did last time she was here. Or worse.

"My Cinderbelly!" Taylor exclaimed, as Belly opened the door.

"Hey, Taylor!" I gave her a hug. "Are you playing, today?" She asked.

"Nah. I'm just gonna spectate this year."

Conrad and I arrived to the courts earlier than it started so that we could help Susannah set up and have it be exactly how she wanted it.

"Good afternoon. I'm Susannah Fisher, chair of the club's community service board, and I am delighted to welcome you to Play It Forward! You know, as my mother used to say, if you're lucky enough to be at the beach, you're lucky enough. And we are very fortunate indeed, which is why, in the spirit of fun and friendly competition it is time to open our hearts and our wallets and give back to those who may not be as fortunate. We have teams raising money for homelessness, women's shelters, environmental causes and many more. And Play It Forward will match pledges for the winner of the tournament! Pledge tables still open, so please donate generously. And with that, I say let the games begin!"

"You two will do great. I'll be your biggest fan," I said to Belly and Taylor. "Watch out for them, though. Her spike is lethal," I, also, informed them. I was watching some teams practice while setting up, and they were up against some pretty tough competition.

After speaking to them, I walked over to the side so I could have a better view of both teams. "Hey," Conrad approached, slinging his arm around me. "Hey," I leaned into his embrace.

"So, who you got?" He asked. "It's gotta be Steven and Shayla or Belly and Taylor, but those girls could by silent killers," I replied, talking about the girls I previously told Team Belly about.

Before anyone I knew started playing, I went to go get my phone. I put it down near the pledge tables and forgot I left it there.

"Did you see those two, earlier? They would be the absolute cutest together," my mom said.

"I'm waiting for the day that Connie and Sadie realize the love that they have for each other. I'm just glad that they're going to the ball together. I get to see her in a white dress and those two dancing together," Susannah replied.

My early tournament predictions were going to plan. Both teams: Belly and Taylor and Steven and Shayla were flying past their competition. Unfortunately, Taylor twisted her ankle in the middle of a game, having Jeremiah sub in for her. I could tell that she wasn't actually hurt. As soon as she stepped off the sand, she was fine and walking normally on both feet.

Now, it was Team Belly's turn to go up against the girls with the lethal spikes. Jeremiah was decent, but they would've had a better shot if Taylor didn't get out. It was a nerve wracking game, literally neck in neck. Jeremiah's lack of diving cost them a few points. Belly was in her competitive headspace, meaning nothing else mattered to her but winning.

She called a time-out. She pointed at me, wanting me to sub in. I quickly shook my head. I tilted my head towards Conrad to get her to sub him in instead. "Conrad, I need you to sub in. Now," she ordered. He was a little uneasy, but he did it anyways.

"You did great, Jere," I assured him, handing him a water.

Conrad and Belly were flying past their competition, and so were Steven and Shayla, which meant they had to compete against each other. It was a close game. Either one of them could win. But Conrad set a good ball, allowing Belly to spike, securing them the win. Everyone started clapping and cheering. It was a lighthearted competition, for a good cause, so no one was really butt hurt.

"And the winners are Isabel Conklin and Conrad Fisher!" Susannah announced. I joined her and my mom in giving them their trophy.

When Conrad saw that I was walking onto the court, he ran straight towards me, hugged me, and spun me.

"You guys were incredible!" I held onto his forearm to stop me from falling, due to my dizziness. We walked back towards Belly and the moms. While Belly was accepting the trophy, Conrad grasped my shoulder and shook me out of excitement. It was adorable to see him this happy and excited. It was like he was six years old again, picking out an ice cream flavor.

"I'm so proud of you, Belly. You were amazing out there," I hugged her.