Chapter 2

A/N: I think everyone's realized that updates are gonna be S L O W, but hopefully they're worth it. ;)

After a couple classes, Astrid and I stopped to talk on the way to lunch while I furtively checked out this hot guy that walked by.

"Oh. My. GOD. Have you heard about the party everyone's been buzzing about? It's tonight, and anyone who's anyone is coming," Astrid snickered, then playfully slapped me on the shoulder. "That means you especially, babe!"

"Well, duh, I'm coming. I would be an idiot not to," I replied. I eyed said hot guy more once he turned, and winked at him.

"Wait. Didn't you say that your mom said something about you not being allowed to go to parties until your grades go up? Such a shame, babe." Astrid followed my gaze, lighting on him.

"Who cares what she says. I can go wherever I want. I'm practically an adult! Besides, Daddy already paid for my Sweet Seventeen, which, by the way, is going to be the hottest party of the year. Who cares if I'm grounded? He gives in to me every time."

I was a daddy's girl, because he paid for everything since he's rich. Don't get me wrong, I loved my mom, too, but she was too strict.

"All right, then, babe." She leaned in for an air kiss on the cheek, our new thing, and then whispered, "The guy's super hot, but you can have him 'cause I got my own man." She fluttered off to make out with her hot boyfriend, Eric Mercer.

I called after her, "Ditcher!"

"Yeah!" she mumbled through her frantic making out. I rolled my eyes, disgusted. Speaking of making out, where was that infuriating Tom? We scheduled to meet at lunch so we could stage an epic "break up". It was the middle of the year, and Kasey needed to start moving in on him.

I forgot to mention that I changed male counter parts every time I moved schools. The girl "victim"at the school was supposed to end up with them. Of course, said male Beautiful Ones didn't always know of the arrangement (the ones that do know, like Tom, want to find love), but it always workedout in the end. Made for a nice romance story, complete with backstabbing Beautiful One (me!)! Luckily, we haven't had double-sightings yet, where the Happily Ever After girl sees the former tormenter at another high school.

Did I mention I was immortal?

This whole process was pretty complicated. I was only 18 in human years, technically still high school age so it's not quite that creepy yet. And as the rebel I was, I didn't bother to read the handbook they gave me when I applied. I just signed the waiver, eager to get on with my new life, separated from my past! Now I have no idea if I'm going to age at all.... But more on my life before later. Also, high school cliques haven't been around THAT long.

I smirked at the thought of Kasey with Tom. At the benches, I had some alone time for my thoughts. She was pretty, but not outwardly stunning. To be nice, I decided to think of her as one of those types that got prettier and prettier as you got to know them, not the other way around, which was what probably happens with me.

I sighed. Sometimes it sucked to be a Beautiful One. Also, the system was totally unorganized, but you know, I was proud to be gorgeous enough. I sometimes felt like they should've chemically manufactured people, even though that's a horrible thought. That's how strict the guidelines were. Evidently, it didn't work out in Mean Girls, since our DNA kinda requires us to be those "skinny without even trying and skinny no matter what junk food we eat" types. Regina shouldn't have gained weight! Bad script-weighting, guys!

"Francesca." A male voice startled me out of my (shallow) thoughts.

I looked up to see the handsome, yet arrogant face of Tom, and groaned. "Tom," I acknowledged.

He grinned and said, "So, I don't see you picking on anyone so far. This is progress, huh?"

"Observant, aren't you?" I leaned forward across the bench to smile flirtatiously just for him. There was a drama need staring at us from across the courtyard, after all. "Well, I just haven't seen her around yet today." I replied, examining my manicure. He knows what I mean by her.

"Oh. Never mind then. So, how was your morning, sweetheart?" he said in a sardonic tone that only I could pick out.

"It was fine," I replied curtly, not looking up at him. Tom was the kind of guy that you could fall in love with way too easily.

He nudged my chin upwards with one finger and smiled. "There those gorgeous baby blues are!" He was trying too hard.

I rolled my eyes and felt my lips twitching. He was a charmer. "Yeah. So we have to get to lunch and plan our fabulously extravagant breakup after you meet Kasey and 'get to know her'." I made quotation marks and crinkled my nose at the end.

He smiled genuinely and said, "This works out great for me! Super satisfying breakup, then as dessert, a hot girl to fall in love with!"

I crinkled my nose even more in disappointment. Hey, I wasn't the type to wrinkle easily!

Then he crinkled his nose too and said, "Wait. Love's a trap no one in their right mind should want to fall in."

I sighed in relief and replied, "Good boy." I had taught him well. Finally ready, I offered up one hand and stood up daintily.

He took my hand, and I smiled like a cat who had finally got her milk. We shared a glance, well aware of the crowd of ordinary kids staring, and sauntered to the cafeteria together. The perfect couple.

A/N: Okay, even I can admit that this chapter was boring. Hopefully I figure out how to be interesting or this story is doomed! Okay author notes are annoying. I'll stop now.

*goes to hide in corner and cry then die*