1

"Wakatoshi!"

I used to think I could hit every set perfectly. I was conditioned that way.

I reached the peak of my jump just on time, I felt good. I saw the ball and I swung. The contact was weak, the new setter on the team was really throwing me off. It wasn't his mistake either, to my horror it was mine. Their libero, it went straight to the libero.

I landed on the hard gym floor, my shoes squeaking. Beads of sweat flung off my body.

They've picked up every spike I hit. Just like in high school, that damned Karasuno.

The whistle blew, and before I knew it... I was being subbed out.

"Wakatoshi," my coach threw me a water bottle, "If you want to play for Japan you better pull your head out of your ass!"
"Coach, please tell me what I'm lacking,"
He inhaled and pointed at the large court, "You see how everyone out there is playing?"
I couldn't really understand what he meant.
"They're screaming and hollering like children out there!"
"And?" I took another sip.
"They're playing with emotion," he sighed, "You're human Ushijima, I know you are. Your issue isn't that you're lacking skill, in fact I'd say you're one of our best players out there,"
I nodded trying my best to understand his angle.

"But everyone out there is not only utilizing skill but their raw emotions too. Their morale puts them miles higher than just your raw power and skill. It's like you're playing in two different styles. I know you played like this in high school but, on the Japanese team we're full of superstars and no one is going to adapt around you,"

It was like I knew what he was saying, but I still couldn't figure it out.
"For now Ushijima, you are suspended from practice and games until you can show me how you play with emotion. You are not a robot,"

Suspended.

Volleyball was all I had, and now I'm suspended.

I tried my best to keep my head high as I walked out of the large stadium. I'm not sticking around for a team that doesn't want me. But still, thats the only team representing Japan. If I want to be on top I have to play with them.

"Wakatoshi!" One of the managers came running after me with my bag, "do you understand what the coach means?"
"No,"
"Try-" she was out of breath, "try going back to your hometown, maybe there's someone there that can help you!" She handed me my things and ran back inside.
Hometown huh? I haven't been to Miyagi since graduation. The only thing I can connect emotion to was when we played Karasuno. Even then I didn't say much. Is that what he means? Do I need to boost morale? Thats not who I am. I make the shots, they do the talking.

Remembering my high school days brought back a certain face that I couldn't put a name to. A lanky, strange, red headed blocker I believe. He talked to me when no one else did. What was his name again?