Time and time again Anj kept putting off her Boston visit even though Reg and Sienna kept telling her that the idea that she would be in Ethan's shadow if she was seen with him was just that a misconception in her head. Nothing and no one would judge her achievements on the basis of her being Ethan's girlfriend or partner. But, her old insecurities kept her from reaching out to Ethan. The rational part of her brain was telling her that she was ruining her relationship and it wouldn't be long before Ethan broke it off with her.

As if on cue, a few days later Ethan surprises her with a visit to SF that weekend. He calls her from the airport asking her to meet him at his hotel instead of going over to her apartment. She is apprehensive as to why Ethan is suddenly in SF and that too he wants to meet at a hotel. She tells Ethan she is still at work and would be free only later that evening.

At the end of her shift Anj goes over to the hotel address provided. She sees Ethan waiting for her at the lobby. He is very formal, cold and distant.

Anj asks Ethan if he is okay and if everything is okay. Ethan responds,

"Since when did my well being concern you? Don't tell me in the last one year there was no opportunity for you to take even two days off to come visit? Even if there wasn't, why did you stop me from visiting you? Am I your dirty little secret now?"

Anj is deeply hurt by Ethan's words but she also knows that whatever he is saying is true. Once again she let her past dictate her future. Anj is about to apologise to Ethan when he tells her he can't do this anymore.

"I'm sorry Anj but I can't do this anymore. I can't and won't hold you back when you clearly feel that you're better off without my reputation tainting your career. I will always want what's best for you. I am setting you free. You don't ever have to worry about me or my reputation anymore."

How can Ethan ever forget the sadness in her eyes as he told her those words. He wishes that he didn't have to let her go. He desperately wishes that he could turn back time and fight for their relationship, making her realise that being his partner and being a successful doctor wasn't mutually exclusive. But he knew that Anj would always care about what other people thought. Although letting her go felt like losing a limb, he knew it was for the best. If they had remained together they would only hurt each other more.

It took them a few months to get over each other. Needless to say all the love Anj had for Ethan became hatred and soon she put up her walls once again, vowing to never let anyone close to her. She became closed off and stoic and decided to busy herself with so that all she could feel was numbness.

In a few months, Anj met another man through her close friends in San Francisco. Matteo Caruso, one of the youngest successful investment bankers for Morgan Stanley in San Francisco. Anj initially didn't want anything to do with Matteo much less be in another relationship, after all she was still nursing a broken heart but he was persistent.

Matteo was the kind of man that any woman could ever want. Sweet, caring, respectful and he let's Anj shine in her own light. Time does heal and soon Matteo eventually got Anj's heart and her sweetest yes. Anj learned to love Matteo but she couldn't love him the same way as Ethan because Matteo can never be Ethan.

Meanwhile, Ethan has also moved on as well. After Anj, he moved on to Brielle, a doctor in Edenbrook but their relationship was fine. They were happy but Brielle wanted for the two of them to settle down, however Ethan could never envision himself settling down with Brielle. Brielle soon got tired of waiting for Ethan and he decided to end their relationship and after that he didn't date any more women. He still wanted Anj but there was no way he could have her ever again.