A Chance For Us

When he told her that the world is her oyster when it comes to medicine was true

When he told her that the world is her oyster when it comes to medicine was true. Despite garnering many offers from different hospitals both in-state and out-state as well as back home, Anj ultimately decided to stay back in Edenbrook. Reasons why she didn't leave Edenbrook is because Edenbrook is the best hospital and also because she didn't want to leave Ethan as well.

A few months after being together, Ethan decided to put a label on their relationship. He proposed to her just 4 months after making things official between them. Anj couldn't be any happier, or so she thought. The two of them were happy, not that it was a smooth sailing one but they always made it work. Few weeks into their engaged life, Anj thought to herself that they were rushing a little bit when it came to their relationship. She knew that the two of them were not growing any younger but she was just starting as an attending and starting to lead the Diagnostics Team. Maybe it was a tad early to be even thinking about marriage.

So she told Ethan about it. She told him that she didn't want to be known just as his wife. It wasn't that she wasn't proud of it but she wanted to make a name in the world of medicine and being at Edenbrook wouldn't let her achieve that. Ethan asks her why she suddenly has that thought but Anj brushes away his concerns. He is both shocked and hurt but like everything else he skillfully hides his emotions.

Cedar - Sinai Hospital offered Anj to start a diagnostics team with them. It was probably a great opportunity for her to start fresh without the perception that she is merely Ethan's partner or a former intern. Ethan did support her with it, he even promised to wait for her to come back from San Francisco. For the first 6 months, they text and call each other religiously, most often than not they even find time to Facetime each other.

But by the 7th month there were changes that happened. There are times when both are unable to answer each other's calls due to their busy shifts. There are times when would wait for Ethan to answer her video calls and by the eight month Ethan's text was more of a perfunctory check. It is as if he was texting a colleague and not his partner.

Soon their promises to wait and to love each other were just mere words. Anj thought that maybe it was because she always put her travel back to Boston on hold or that she doesn't want Ethan to come to San Francisco. Sienna, being a good friend told her that she was making a mistake by stopping Ethan from coming to San Francisco, she told Anj that he might think that she's cheating on him but the truth is that work keeps getting in the way also she didn't want her colleagues to think that she's just using Ethan not now when she's already establishing her own name.

Hell, she was proud to be Ethan's girlfriend. If she could scream it out loud to the world, she would. But Anj also knows and understands the repercussions of being his partner, she would be seen as someone who probably slept her way through or that people will always think that she's nothing but Ethan's little intern and that she will always live behind Ethan's shadows. She knows that very well because it was the very same reason she left the Philippines and went to the United States because didn't want to be seen as just a former beauty queen and the granddaughter of one of the richest men back home.