Chapter Fifteen

Začať od začiatku

As the last words left your lips, you could see a slight shimmer to the girl's eyes. Her lips twisted into a saddened smile, like she couldn't believe that, after everything, you still cared so deeply about her.

"I love you too, y/n. You have absolutely no idea."

Mirabel gave your hands one last squeeze before turning back to her family, and you found yourself backing into Camilo, who'd apparently followed you. You took his hand and squeezed it, smiling up at him.

"I think we're gonna be okay," Agustín chirped, his arm finding its way around Julieta once more. "All of us."

"Uh...not if we don't have a house." Camilo's voice almost echoed through the broken shell of a house and people around him, and Félix elbowed his son in annoyance. "What? We don't have a house, I can't say we don't have a house? What is that? Not a house." Camilo gestured to the rubble around him, looking up at his father defensively.

"Ay, Camilo," you muttered, finding it difficult not to smile at his familiar antics. More so at the fact that he still hasn't released your hand. You smirked and pulled him down to your level, and pecked his cheek. A simple gesture...but it held such deeper meaning now. You chuckled at the brilliant shade of red flushing out his cheeks, and at how wide his eyes suddenly got. "Traviesito."

You found yourself in the eyes of several Madrigals, more specifically Pepa and Julieta. Many seemed unsurprised at the display, which for some reason sent sparks of joy straight to your heart. Perhaps they knew, maybe some didn't, but not one of them could keep the smile from their face. You winked at Mirabel, who discreetly gave you a thumbs-up in response. It was great having your best friend back.

Something about the atmosphere changed then, from glum dissociation about the situation at hand, to a soft trickle of hope. Perhaps it was Mirabel. Perhaps that was her gift. Not so much magical and mystical, but wondrous and natural. Just having her in the room could change the mood. She'd always been a beacon of belief, and of hope for a brighter tomorrow. She was just what the family needed. An anchor to what the magic of the miracle was built for. Not what it was built of.

The girl stepped forward to what used to be the entrance to Casita...where the song first started. Where people first danced upon seeing the life in the house. There wasn't so much of this house or the magic anymore...but if you listened closely, you could almost hear the song again.

"Look at this family, a glowing constellation...so full of stars, and everybody wants to shine." You stepped up to Mirabel, following some of the Madrigals through the broken arch. Camilo, of course, was right behind you. "But the stars don't shine, they burn, and the constellations shift. I think it's time you learn you're more than just your gift."

Along with many others, you'd started trying to lift some of what was perhaps a wall, and Isabela, Dolores, and Félix joined you.

From the other side of the doorway arch, a familiar figure suddenly appeared. Her aged features appeared soft, unlike anything you'd ever seen.

"And I'm sorry I held on too tight, just so afraid I'd lose you too." Her voice, just as exposed as her face, felt raw and genuine. She approached Pepa and Julieta, taking their hands in hers. "The miracle is not some magic that you've got. The miracle is you, not some gift, just you. The miracle is you."

The chorus of the family followed in Abuela's words, finding the song lingering in the air. As they did, you saw yet another familiar figure appear from the shadows of the arch. Tío Bruno.

"All of you, all of you..."