Chapter 166 - Lena Gone Away

Start from the beginning

"Would you mind getting me some headache tablets?" Sam asks.

"Oh.... of course.... Is everything alright?" Eve asks.

"Hmmm... I think it's just a stress headache." Sam replies.

Eve nods her head back at Sam and leaves the office, with Alex then entering a few moments later.

"Hey, Sam." Alex smiles, lovingly.

"Hey, babe." Sam smiles back, with her not making a move to get up from her office chair to greet Alex.

"I thought that maybe we could have lunch together?" Alex suggests.

"Oh..... I'm sorry Alex.... Usually, I would love nothing more than to spend a good lunch hour with you, but I can't today." Sam replies, "I've just got so much work to do because of Lena not being here."

"Oh..." Alex says, in a voice of realisation, "Did she really leave you with a lot of stuff to do then?"

"Yeah." Sam nods, "Today Lena was supposed to have a meeting with the board, which I had to postpone until later this afternoon, just so I can prepare for it. Then Lena was also supposed to take some calls with some investors and a few potential partners. Then on top of all that, Lena also has a bunch of administrative work to do. So, I have to do all that, on top of my normal work load as CFO."

"That sounds.... like a lot...." Alex says.

"It is." Sam nods again, "Lena's work load alone is far too much for any one person, but you know how Lena is. But..... I'm afraid that it's going to be a real late night for me tonight..."

"Oh... yeah.... I understand..." Alex replies.

"I'm sorry about this." Sam says, looking at Alex with a sympathetic look on her face.

"No, it's okay. It's not your fault." Alex says back.

"Hmmm." Sam hums, "So, do you mind watching Ruby this evening, and making yourselves dinner and everything? Obviously, you don't have to pick her up from school or anything, as she'll get the bus home. But you'll have to do everything else. I don't know when, or if, I'll be home tonight, so you can just tell Ruby to give me a call before she goes to bed?"

"Yeah, okay. I'll do that." Alex says.

"Thank you." Sam smiles.

"Have you heard from Lena?" Alex asks.

"No." Sam replies, "When Lena isolates herself like this no one hears from her for a few days, with the exception of her assistant, but Eve is still here in National City, as you can see, so she's not heard anything either."

"Ah, okay." Alex nods, "Kara's still not taking things well. Apparently Lena called last night and only talked to Alura and didn't say anything to Kara."

Sam now grows another sympathetic look on her face, but this time for Kara, because she knows how much that must have hurt the blonde, because she loves Lena so much.

"Yeah..... well..... Lena may have really worked on herself this past year.... since she and Kara got together.... but.... I guess she's still a work in progress, like we all are. She's just relapsed a bit into her old patterns I guess." Sam replies.

"Hmmm.... Yeah.... I hope it doesn't last much longer though. Kara is literally acting like a kicked puppy." Alex says.

"I can assure you it won't. If I don't hear that Lena will be back by the day after tomorrow, I'll literally fly out to Metropolis myself, track Lena down, and drag her back here." Sam says.

Alex can't help but smile at the mental image of Sam doing that.

"I'd like to see that." Alex says.