They stopped in front of our table. Belly passed her bouquet to mom and curtsied. Mom gave the bouquet to Susannah.

The look on Susannah face as she smelt the flowers and looked up at Belly with stars in her eyes- it was overwhelming. Seemed like Mom felt the same way, as she excused herself. Dad followed her.

Belly looked at me with questioning eyes. I shrugged.

*****

Twisted, baby, I'm a goner,

I'm a monster, don't listen to a word I say.

The song began to play. I cheered as the escorts started dancing to it. Steven and Jeremiah were right up front, it was the most hilarious thing.

I was smiling and clapping the whole time, it felt great.

Jeremiah kept looking over at our table. At first, I thought he was looking at Belly. But as they struck the final pose, I realised he was looking at Susannah.

He knew something was up.

*****

Paige clinked her glass.

"It's starting," Susannah said.

"I don't know where Jeremiah is," Belly said. I looked around, mildly annoyed at him.

"He'll be here in a minute, I'm sure. Go, get ready," Susannah said.

I watched as Belly moved along hesitatingly, looking for Jeremiah.

I looked at Conrad with questioning eyes. He shook his head.

I dialed his number. I couldn't believe this.

"Where's Jeremiah?" Susannah asked.

"He isn't picking up," I said.

I saw Belly talk to Shayla and Steven. They shook their heads. Shayla looked at me over Belly's shoulder with panicked eyes. I mirrored her expression.

I got up to go look for him just as Belly started walking back.

Conrad crossed me and went up to her. I smiled. And then I smiled even wider as they took their places in the routine.

Happiness bubbled in my stomach. They looked like they belonged.

"Look at them. She's luminous," Susannah said.

"To Belly, Conrad is the sun. And when the sun comes out, the stars disappear," Mom said.

Jeremiah came back in. He looked crushed.

"Jeremiah honey, where were you?" Susannah asked.

"I-I ate something. I think maybe the shrimp was bad," he said. I narrowed my eyes.

"Oh honey, I'm so sorry," Susannah said. "You know the caterer's going to be hearing from me," she said to Mom.

"Okay, Karen," Mom said. I smiled to myself.

"I'll get you some ginger ale," Susannah said, getting up.

"No wait, I'll get it," I said. "C'mon, Jeremiah." I pulled him along.

I dragged him to a corner. "Okay, what gives?" I asked him.

He didn't meet my eyes. "What do you mean?"

"We both know you didn't eat something bad. Why did you just bail?"

"How does it matter?" He said darkly. "Conrad was there to save the day."