Chapter 5: First Date

Start from the beginning

"Hi."

He hoped that he looked okay to go on a date with her. He had had no idea how to dress so he had just thrown something on. Now that he saw how cute Susan looked he was second-guessing his decision. He looked nowhere near as good as she.

 He looked nowhere near as good as she

(this is Theodore's outfit)

"Shall we?" he said. Susan nodded and they left.

They walked in awkward silence towards the village for the first couple of minutes until Theodore said: "I'm sorry, I have no idea how to do this. I'm probably a pretty awful date."

Susan looked at him in surprise. "Oh no, not at all. I was actually enjoying just walking beside you," she said. Then she blushed. "I mean, you don't have to talk all the time or try your best to impress me or anything. It's not like this is an actual date."

Theodore looked at her sideways. "No, but I'd still like you to have a good time," he replied. "Where do you want to go?"

"I was thinking Madam Puddifoot's. If people see us there, they'll surely know we're dating."

Theodore had never actually been to that place. To be honest, he didn't visit Hogsmeade much. During most visiting weekends he stayed at the castle, enjoying a quiet common room while most Slytherins were out. He got a lot of his reading done on those days.

"Okay, that makes sense."

When they arrived at Madam Puddifoot's tea shop Theodore held the door open for Susan because he thought that was what people did on dates. Susan smiled at him widely.

They sat down at a table at the windows so they would be in plain view for all the students walking past.

Theodore looked at the tea shop uncomfortably. It was very ... pink. Susan ordered a rosehip tea and Theodore went for black coffee, no sugar. Susan insisted on also ordering some cupcakes.

"So, why'd you drop my essence of wormwood in Potions?" Susan asked while Theodore was sipping his coffee.

"I thought it was my bottle but then I saw you were a Hufflepuff."

Susan didn't look very pleased with his answer. Theodore shifted in his chair. He was ruining it. He never really knew how to handle social situations and he always seemed to say the wrong things.

"You dropped it because I'm a Hufflepuff?" she repeated, sounding offended.

"Yeah, but now that I've actually talked to you, I wouldn't drop your bottle. I would hand it back to you," he tried. Susan raised an eyebrow. Theodore looked out of the window. He didn't know what to say.