Chapter 2: Lay With Me

It didn't take long for both Peter and Gwen to fall into a deep sleep after the long and eventful day they'd had. He was laid flat on his back, with his arm around her as she leaned into his side with her head resting softly on his chest.

Fighting off the Green Goblin, he was finally gaining the upper hand when the ruthless enemy that had once been his friend took him by surprise and moved faster than he could think.

Gwen was on the edge of one of the cogs that worked the clock tower, and during all the commotion, she had fallen backwards and was falling. Watching in horror, Spider-man acted fast, shooting a web that quickly attached itself to her. Though he soon realised that it would not be enough to stop her from hitting the ground and seeing that Harry had disappeared, he leapt off the platform and made a dive to try and catch her.

Just as she was about to hit the ground, the web abruptly stopped her fall, though despite not falling all the way, her neck had snapped as a result of the sudden yank. Having got there just in time to unhook her from the web, he took off his mask and examined her closely...

"Gwen... No!" He cried.

"PLEASE DON'T LEAVE ME!!" Peter yelled in a broken cry.

Gwen's eyes flew open, startled by the sudden sound. She looked down at Peter, who was still deeply asleep, and acted fast. Shuffling around so that she could reach out to him properly, she cupped his face in the palms of her hands.

"Peter... Peter, wake up!"

"I can't live without you... PLEASE STAY WITH ME!" He yelled again in his sleep.

"Peter! Wake up!" She repeated, louder this time.

When he still showed no signs of waking up, she moved her hands from his face to his shoulder and gently began to shake him. His body was laced with sweat due to the nightmare, which she ignored as she continued to try to wake him. With no luck, her ideas were wearing thin when she had another thought. Placing her hands back where they originally were, she leaned over his chest and pressed her lips firmly against his. A few seconds passed and his racing heart began to slow then finally his eyes opened wide.

Feeling Gwen's lips on his own, he quickly realised that what he had just witnessed was only a dream of his worst fear and relief flooded through him. As his eyes narrowed again, he closed them and returned the kiss before breaking it off to hold her close in a hug. He was grateful to be able to feel her there with him once again.

Resting his head on her shoulder, he buried his face in her neck as his body began to tremble just as it had back in the clock tower. He sobbed loudly, unable to control himself.

"I'm so sorry..." He choked into her ear.

"Peter, you didn't do anything wrong. You saved my life. Don't be sorry, it's okay... I'm right here." She soothed.

Not knowing exactly how to comfort him, she returned the embrace and rubbed his back slowly with her hands, hoping that it would ease his anxiety.

"I nearly lost you..." He whimpered.

"But you didn't, and you won't ever." She assured him.

He swallowed hard before taking a deep breath to recompose himself. Once he was calm enough, he pulled back from the hug and stared into her beautiful cerulean blue eyes; his own tear stricken face reflected in her pupils. Then he smiled weakly, earning a sympathetic smile from Gwen.

"I have to tell you something..." He admitted sheepishly.

"Okay... Something bad or...?" She questioned, trailing off to allow him to finish.