Prologue - EDITED

A/N: You aren't supposed to understand anything in the prologue the first time you read it. If you want to, you can come back to the prologue after you finish this book and fondly remember what it was like to be that clueless. ;-)

The man was becoming impatient. He was expecting someone, and she was late. He paced along the green foliage, looking up at the sign hanging above that proved he was in the right place. She knows where to find me. It's just a question of if she will or not.

A whoosh of wings. She was here.

They regarded each other in silence for a few moments, then she broke it, an undercurrent of anger in her voice. "Well, what's your excuse this time?"

He shoved his hands in his pockets. This would be a difficult conversation. He cleared his throat. "No excuse. In fact, I have news."

"You keep telling me you'll find them soon, and I come back and we're no closer than we were," she spat. "I don't want news. I want results. I want those dragons in my possession, not just an empty promise."

"Well, that's not true," the man objected. "My update is not just an "empty promise." We think we found 5T." He gestured up to the sign. "That's why I'm "working" here. Once he or she comes along, it will already be over. That's the art of this. Our little 5T tween will be putting himself— or herself— out in the open. We won't even have to look for them. It's so perfect." His Deathgripper hissed.

"No one's come to do business here in much too long," she reminded him doubtfully. "What makes you think one will come around now? And what about the others— what about 3T and 4T? And 2T, for that matter?"

"All a work in progress," the man said. "This is the epitome of a boring job. Why else do you think I'm choosing to spend my time wiling away here, waiting for tweens who may seem like they're never going to show up?" He ran a hand through his hair. "We just have to wait."

A/N: This is the shortest "chapter" of the entire book. Most of the others will be much longer, jsyk. This prologue is the epitome of a teaser trailer prologue. Oooh, I'm so excited.

See you in the next chapter!

-Pepper9990