"Sure." Toby rolled his eyes.

"Alright then Mulder, let's get going!" She beamed, putting her pen back behind her ear and following Toby to the front of the house.

They crossed the road, confused as to why Mr. Strickler's car seemed to be on the road outside. Jim's bedroom light was switched on, so he was probably in, right?
Toby lightly knocked the door and the duo heard some clamouring from inside, a green crackle of light coming soon after. Strickler answered the door, looking shocked to see two of his students standing there.

"Oh, Tobias, Claire...how surprising it is to see you here!" Walt laughed uncomfortably.

"Mr. Strickler?! Why are you here?!" Claire questioned.

Before the disgruntled history teacher could answer the girl's question, Barbara Lake appeared from behind him. Her eyes were red raw as if she'd been crying. Strickler looked down on the two kids as Barbara stepped past him. There was a brief but menacing glint in his eyes.

"S-sorry kids...I assume you came to see Jim? He's uhh...he's not home." She stammered, her eyes brimming.

Toby's brow furrowed, "Not home? He left his light on! He never leaves the house without turning his light off."

Barbara poked her head out and looked up to see Jim's light was switched on. Claire and Toby watched with some curiosity as the mother shook her head.

"He was uhh...in a hurry?" She shuddered.

Walter stepped in front of the crying woman once more, his tone stern and borderline threatening, "I believe you two should leave."

"Walt-"

"It's alright Barbara, they wouldn't understand what's going on..." Strickler looked at Dr. Lake as he spoke.

This seemingly prompted the doctor to change her tune entirely, walking towards the front door to look at the teenagers.

"Actually kids, I'm sorry but you should leave...I know you're worried about Jim but he'll text you I'm sure...he's...he's fine." Her voice hinted she was uncertain, but she stood strong.

Before either if them could protest, both Toby and Claire had had the door slammed in their face. They wanted to retaliate, there was something fishy going on, but both agreed that sticking to their plan B was probably the best option. If the adults wouldn't help, they'd find the answers themselves.

"So, we uhh...gonna go find Aja and Krel? They said they'd meet me tonight." Claire asked.

"Sure...but don't tell them about Jimbo. Seriously." Toby responded with a serious look in his eyes.

Claire just nodded and pulled out her phone to text the new kids when she saw she had five missed calls and two texts off Mary. Her phone began to ring again and with a sigh, Claire reluctantly answered.

"Hey Mare, what's up?"

"Omfg Claire Bear like why did it take you so long to answer?!"

"Sorry, I was a bit preoccupied...what's going on?"

"Uhh what's going on?? Like omg Claire did your brain fall out or some shit?! Huuuuge party at Steve's tonight! Everyone is here, you said you'd come girl! So where are you?"

"Oh fudgeknuckle- that's tonight? I'm not sure if it's a good idea I come...I've been really invested in this class project."

"Laaaaame. If you're worried that Steve wouldn't let you drag Tony along with you then like just bring him! Get yourself a break omg!"