Summer 9

"You came back!"

I remember stand there, a rush going through my body. She'd only gotten two inches taller, her hair growing downwards aswell. I lunged at her, tackling her into a hug. She yelped as we lightly hit the carpet. I squeezed her until I could feel her tap my back. I sat up, completely out of breath. She was back. She had came back.

"My parents say that their gonna keep me here for two weeks like last time. And they may do it again next year."

Two more summers with Jocelyn?! I smiled and hugged her again, this time without the force of thousand men. She hugged back. That familiar sweet scent filled my nose and I couldn't stop myself from smiling. The past week I had been bored. The boys kept mostly leaving me out, except for when Conrad let me play a few card games with them. My mom hadn't told me either. I guess she wanted it to be a surprise.

"We're gonna have so much fun! Come put your stuff in my room."

I stood up, holding out my hand for her. She grabbed it and I pulled her up. When she stood our faces got close for a moment and I could feel my heart stop. She let go of my hand first and my lungs could suddenly work again. She picked up her duffel bag and made her way up the stairs. I followed behind her. We bounced up the steps and Jocelyn stopped before she opened my door. She turned her head to look around at the hall. The boys had left me to go to the arcade, again. The moms were downstairs taking groceries out of Susannah's car. It was just us. Her hand finds it's way to my cheek and sits there. My mind goes blank and I come too when she's softly kissing me. I kiss back, slowly but surely. It only lasts for a moment. She pulls away and when I open my eyes, I see a stupid huge smile on her face.

"I missed you."

I smile back.

"I missed you too."

I reach past her, our shoulders brushing, and open the door. My room is still the same as it was last summer, just less toys and more "mature" things. Like perfume and jewelry and books. I hoped that Jace wouldn't still see me as the kid she knew last summer. Conrad too. She dropped her bag on the floor and I shut the door behind me. My fingers instinctively moved to lock it. I paused. Not yet.

"How've you been?"

My back touches the door as she turns back to me. I notice a passing flicker of something in her expression. A sort of cringe at the question. Probably just my eyes acting up.

"Good. Life's been boring without you."

She sits in my bed and I'm suddenly embarrassed at how messy my bed is. I take a seat next to her, the sweet smell filling my nose once again. I don't think I'll never get used to it. Her face is a little less round and her brows have grown thicker. They were small details  that could've easily been missed. But my mind seemed to hyper focus of every part of her, new or old. I guess that's what happens when you don't see a friend for a long time. Her body is right next to mine, our thighs pressing together. I lay on head on her shoulder and she stiffens before relaxing. I feel the weight of her head ontop of mine and I smile.

"I was worried that this summer was gonna suck cause you weren't here."

I lay my hand on her knee and lightly rub the smooth skin. Her hand finds it's way to my shoulder and her lips kiss my hair. The world had gone silent. This moment was just us. Two friends, who did a little more than platonic things, seeing each other again. I hear footsteps running down the hall and we jump away from each other.

"Bell- Oh god."

Jeremiah had burst through the door, his upbeat demeanor disappearing once he sees Jocelyn. His eyes roll and he smiles.

"She's stolen you again hasn't she."

I nod and bump my shoulder into hers. I try and keep my breath steady. My heart was racing. We'd almost been caught...like that. I didn't want Jere to get the wrong idea.

"What can I say? She loves me."

Jocelyn winks me and I feel my face get a little red. I really needed to slow my heart down.

"Laurel said she wanted us all to go down stairs so we can play a family game of Uno."

I immediately stand, wanting to find anyway to stop my heavy chest and hot face.

"I'm gonna go down."

I practically spit the words out as I race past Jeremiah and down the hall. By the time I'm down the staircase, my face is cool and my chest is light.

"Hey Bells. Wanna sit next to me for the game?"

My eyes meet Conrad's. I smile and run over to his spot on the floor, taking a seat next to him. The dizziness is gone. I peer at Conrad as I sit down next to him. I feel safe. Jeremiah comes down the staircase, Jocelyn trailing behind him. I look away. Suddenly, my heart doesn't feel so safe.