Other side

"Jace isn't coming?"

I looked back at the house through Jeres truck window. I could see her standing in the kitchen having a conversation with my mom.

"No. Just you and me."

Jere smiles at me and my mood is immediately sullened. I had been excited to hang out with Jace again. It had been so long since that summer. Summer eleven. The last time I truly saw her.

"I wanted us to have some time together before Jace whisks you away again like she did before."

I smile at his words. We really had been connected at the hip those four summers. But after she left Conrad was there for me. I'm kinda ashamed of how quickly I forgot her.

"Excuse me for wanting another girl in the house. Having to deal with you three makes me wonder how I haven't died yet!"

Jere laughs and I see his leg shift closer to mine as he drives. The sun is extra bright today and as much as I love Jere, all I can seem to think about is how much better this would be if she was here right now.

"Conrad didn't wanna come."

Jere has an annoyed look in his eyes.

"If that's what you were thinking about."

Conrad. I had barely thought about Conrad since I got here. I had barely even seen him. He was always gone or in his room. I was starting to get nervous for him. Like he was super depressed and one of these days he was gonna break and I wasn't gonna be there when it happened. I wanted to help him. But here I was, thinking about her when the boy I love probably needs help. Jere takes a left turn down the road, away from the beach.

"You missed the turn."

"I know."

I see a small smile spread along his face. He was scheming.

"We're still going to the beach. I just wanted to go to a more...secluded spot."

Secluded?

"Your gonna kill me?"

Jeres mouth drops open and we both laugh.

"No. I just wanted to do something special with my best friend."

Jere knocks our knees together and I smile. The wind makes my hair flip around in the open window. This was one of those perfect moments. The ones that you look back on all those years later and wonder why you didn't cherish it as much as you should've. But even though this moment should be perfect, all I could think about was Jace.

"We're here."

Jere's hand on my knee brings me out of my daze. I looked out the front window and saw a small beach area, covered by huge rocks on its left side. He did not.

"Did you bring me to the other side?!"

Jere shrugs and opens his door. I follow after him, practically bouncing as I help him with the bags. I had never been to this side of the beach. My mom always made me and Steven stay away because she thought we'd hit our heads and die or something. Jere said he'd take me one day. I guess he's finally making his promises come true. I grab the picnic basket and beach blanket, immediately running to the sand.

"No fair!"

Jere's yell makes me laugh as I sprint down the hot sand. The waves aren't crashing, instead their calm and soft. The sand isn't too hot, just nice and warm. I can hear the trunk slam closed and the shifting of the sand under his feet as he runs down to me. I drop the basket onto the sand and turn to him. This sun shines through his hair and all I can see is the outline of his head. If I was an artist I would've painted this moment and given it to Jere as a gift. Or maybe keep it to myself. It was my work, why couldn't I be selfish?

"I told you I'd bring you here."

His hand went up my arm and rested on my bicep. My skin felt cold from the sea and blowing wind. His hand didn't make it any better.

"I wanted to start off summer by doing something special with you."

I give him a half smile as his thumb rubs my arm. Why did I feel so uncomfortable? I bring my hnad up to tuck my hair behind my ear, making his hand fall away from me. Suddenly, I was feeling a lot better.

"We should get set up."

I held out the blanket to Jere. He looked sad, like he was disappointed. He took the blanket from me and we opened it up, setting it down on the sand. I put the basket on the blanket to hold it down and he put our beach bag on the other end. I opened the picnic basket and pull out the food. Turkey and mayo sandwiches, strawberries, and soda.

"You know me so well."

I wink and I swear Jere gets red. Probably sunburn. I unwrap the sandwich and take a bite. It was absolutely delicious. In my opinion, Jeremiah would make an amazing chef. He was always cooking for Susannah when she was sick. Or for Conrad when he stayed in his room too long.

"Did I get it just right?"

I roll my eyes. He was always doubting his amazing work.

"Of course! I honestly don't understand why you don't go to a culinary school. You'd be amazing!"

Jere shrugs and I take another bite. I let my mind imagine the coming weeks. Beach days with the boys. Getting slushies. Nights out on the boardwalk. Possibly sharing a bed with Jace again. I shake my head to erase the thought. I wouldn't wanna weird her out with the memories of that night. She's a lesbian and I'm completely straight. Goes to show you that you can't choose your sexuality.

"Where's Jace gonna be staying?"

"Your room. Just like old times."

My face gets hot and I take another bite of my sandwich. We were just kids. Why was I still freaking out over it?

"I have an idea."

Jere set down his soda and I raised my eyebrow. He stood slowly and I dropped my sandwich. Asshole.

"Three two one go!"

The words flew out of his mouth as he ran towards the ocean, ripping off his shirt.

"No fair!"

I pull off my jeans shorts and throw them onto the blanket. Jere dips into the water and is gone for a moment before he comes back up, water slipping off his skin. He opens his eyes and they land on me. His eyes light up and I smile at him. The water is cold as I step in deeper. By the time I'm near Jere, the water is up to my stomach. His eyes are still on me. He opens his arms and I let him pull me into a hug. I rest my head on his shoulder and he rubs my back.

"Y'know I love you, right Belly?"

I smile and nod. He pulls me closer and I hold on tighter. I loved Jeremiah. He was my best friend. I knew I could tell him anything and he'd understand. Taylor called us twin flames. Platonic soulmates. She was right. So completely and utterly right. The sun shines on the water, making it sparkle. This was gonna be the best summer ever.