02

Selene quietly closed her daughter's bedroom door, not wanting to wake her from her sleep. She had just tucked her in and the little girl was sleeping soundly on her bed. As she turned the knob to their bedroom, Nigel was nowhere to be seen, but a light was visible from the floor on her left side as she laid down on the bed. This has been their setup for two years now. She would stay on the bed, while he was on the mattress on the floor.

"Long day?" He asked from his spot.

"Mhm. You?"

"Nothing new. You should sleep now."

"You, too. Night."

"Night," he said as he put his phone on silent and proceeded to dreamland.

There were times when their little girl would come in and ask why her dad was sleeping on the floor. She explained that everyone gets their own bed at home, but since another bed couldn't fit in the room, her dad just stays on the floor on a mattress where a bed frame isn't needed because it takes up too much space. They did forget that they have a smart toddler, so she reasoned with there were other rooms in the house and they could use that to place a bed. However, he explained that all the other rooms were locked and the keys are lost, so they couldn't open those rooms. She was contented enough with her parents explanations, thus she no longer asked and understood why they had such sleeping arrangements and really thought that the extra space on her mom's bed was reserved for her whenever she wanted to come in.

————

The next day was a weekend and this meant that she had no clinic hours and he didn't have to go to his office. Selene woke up a bit earlier today since she was asleep almost the whole day yesterday as soon as she got home. She went ahead and showered, then wore a simple dress for her loungewear. She proceeded to her daughter's room and checked up on her and saw that she was still asleep.

She was busy preparing breakfast when she saw a little girl with a puffy face, fresh from her slumber, walking to the kitchen with a smile.

"Good morning, mommy!"

"Hi, love! How was your sleep?"

She ran to her and gave her a hug. "No bad dreams, but I did have a dream!"

"What was it," she asked her little girl before bending down to her level.

"It was about a fairy princess and a prince."

"Really? What happened in your dream?"

"They just talked to me, they played with me, and then they rode a horse that went up a rainbow after they said bye."

"Oh, that's great to hear, love." She smiled at her before carrying her and placing her on the booster seat to get her ready for breakfast.

——

As the girls were chatting over their meal, Nigel went downstairs and went straight to to dining area. He greeted the girls and placed a kiss on top of Gigi's head before taking his seat. "Will you be staying home?"

She nodded in reply. She had an almost two-day shift, thus today will be her off from ER duties if ever needed. "What about you?"

"I need to be somewhere in the afternoon."

"But daddy, I thought you don't have work on Saturday?"

"Sorry, baby. This is the only day that the client can meet with daddy."

"Oh, okay. Maybe we can do it next time."

Selene furrowed her brows since her daughter didn't mention anything earlier. "Is there something you wanna do, babe?"