Chapter 2

Jynx POV

"Do we have to walk?" I sighed. It's not like I had anything better to do, or anyone to worry about me if I went missing.

"The other option is less than desirable," He glanced at me. "But I can call my giant hellhound to take us through shadows if you like."

I froze. "You mean like the thing that just attacked us?" He's a bad guy. He's gonna kill you.

"No, Mrs. O'Leary is nice."

I let out a laugh, relaxing slightly. "Mrs. O'Leary?"

"Yeah. A friend of mine named her."

"I'll just walk." Now it was his turn to laugh.

He led me to the edge of the city and we started walking down a long country road. The smell of strawberries filled the air and filling fields covered in the red berries came into sight.

"Those look amazing!" I commented.

"We can get some of you like,"

"Are we allowed to?"

"Yeah. This is camp property."

"So do I not get to know anything about this mysterious camp until we get there?"

"Nope." He stuck out his tongue at me and I slapped him.

"Hey!"

He chased me down the road until we heard a load road behind us. We froze in our tracks and looked at each other as a large, hulking figure stomped towards us.

"Gods, who are you, Tartarus's most wanted?" He asked as he pulled out a ballpoint pen. He uncapped it and it elongated into a three foot long Greek sword. I didn't recognize the metal, but it glowed a faint bronze color.

"I don't have any idea who that is, but at this point, probably." For now, I chose to ignore the pen-sword and focus on the creature in front of us.

"Do you not have a weapon?" He asked. I guess he missed me actually killing the, as he called it, hellhound.

"Oh," I chuckled. "I do."

The thing charged. "Well now might be a good time to get it out!"

I extended my hands and sent a large blast of energy at the creature. Magic exploded out and wrapped around the creature. I lifted my arms, and the creature lifted with them.

Percy stared, his sword now limp at his side.

"Well? Are you gonna go kill it with your pen-sword?"

"Yeah. Hey, beef head!" He shouted.

The thing strained to see him and struggled against my magic, which was getting weaker against the creature's strength. I lowered it to where Percy could reach it. Percy grabbed a horn and swung himself up onto its back. He stabbed his sword into the back of its neck, and the thing lashed its head back and forth a couple times before disintegrating.

Percy fell to the ground and I jogged over, helping him up.

"We need to get into camp, and soon."

He led me to a tall hill with a massive pine tree at the top. A gold blanket hung on the bottom branch and what looked like a dragon was wrapped around the base of the tree.

Percy patted it on the head, all the while it's beady eyes were trained on me. "Hey, Peleus," Percy said affectionately.

I stood at the top of the hill, speechless. While Percy greeted the dragon, I scanned the valley below me. A set of very mismatched cabins were arranged in the shape of a Greek Omega, with a large fire pit in the center. In the distance was an arena with various small buildings around it, and two giant pillars of rough rock were arranged facing each other. Teenagers and children scaled it, while it rumbled, shook, smashed together, and occasionally spewed lava.

In a volleyball pit, various teens played volleyball against a group of people with goat legs. Near the volleyball pit was a three story farm house with fading blue paint and black shingles. On a wraparound porch, two men sat playing a card game, though I couldn't tell what specific game.

One odd thing I noticed was that almost everyone was wearing bright orange tshirts, with black words I couldn't read from the distance, save for one of the men, who wore a tacky Hawaiian print shirt.

Percy stepped up behind me. "Come on."

I stepped forward, when a wave of magic that I didn't make ripples across an invisible surface. It was a dome, covering the entire valley. Everyone simultaneously looked up, then towards us. Purple lightning crackled in the magic, which cast a faint purple light everywhere.

One of the men stood up quickly, and all of a sudden his lower half was a horse. He trotted towards us.

"Percy. What is the meaning of this?" He glanced at me, then did a double take. "The prophecy," he whispered.

Percy nodded.

"Prophecy? What- what's going on?"

"Come, child."