000. prologue

FREEDOM ESTATE WAS ARGUABLY THE absolute best place for student parties. Of course, it was a Sunday night, and it quite frankly the worst day to host a party. However, Tara and Gisele couldn't resist a good party. Any time one was hosted by Chandler Harris-Fields, it was bound to be memorable. As insufferable he was sometimes, they just couldn't turn down an invite from him.

Tara, surprisingly, didn't want to be there. She just didn't trust Chandler's friends to leave Gisele alone. They were respectful, sure, but the blonde was just too open-minded, and was willing to try just about anything. In fact, just last summer, Tara had to physically stop her best friend from trying coke. Gisele was far from dumb, but at times she lacked common sense.

It was 8 PM at the time, and the more responsible friend was beyond ready to go home. As soon as she finished a conversation with Teresa Klein, a fellow Pi Nu Kappa sister, she looked all over the place for Gisele. She had to keep an ear out for a very feminine, snobby, and unintentionally condescending voice, and an eye out for a blonde in a jaw-dropping dress by Armani that people's attention were caught by.

"Hey," Tara greeted a boy, sporting a dyed teal buzzcut and a baggy outfit. Graham Barclay, he shared the same major as her, and they'd have worked on projects together before. "Have you seen—"

"Gisele?" he cut her off, receiving a nod. He turned off his phone, now looking at her. "I just saw her storm off to the kitchen. She had an argument with, uh... Chandler's sister, I'm pretty sure."

"Thanks," she gave him a small, appreciative smile, before heading to the kitchen. She took note of the genre of music blaring through the speakers— Tame Impala playing? Now she knew where to find the Harris sister if she needed to talk to her about her friend.

Suddenly, she got this unsettling feeling, that she shouldn't be there. Like this was a terrible idea. Like someone was watching her.

Seriously? She had to remind herself. Lots of people watched her, as annoying as it was. She hated to admit it at her big age, but people considered her 'popular'. It was stupid to her— after this year, she would never see these people again, so it was pointless.

She wrinkled her nose in disgust, taking in the smell of weed as she entered the kitchen. She felt bad for the people who were going to make breakfast the next day. Finally, she found Gisele, taking a cold water bottle out of the cooler. "Elle! I've literally been looking for you forever, I don't wanna leave without you."

"Already? It's only 8:13, can't we stay for a little longer?" she reasoned.

"And you have an essay that you need to hand in eleven hours from now," Tara was looking for any excuse to leave this place.

"Okay, I get it, I get it," Gisele raised her hands up to surrender. "Can I just do something really quick? I'll be right out of here with you in, like, ten minutes."

She sighed, feeling defeated. "Fine. I'll be in the bathroom."

"Love you!" Gisele embraced her with a quick hug, before walking off. Tara turned around, watching her trail off into the annoying strobe lights all over the living room.

She was just about to make her way to the female bathrooms, until she saw something odd. Someone was staring at her all the way down the hall that was connected to the kitchen. Goosebumps were all over her skin, and she now understood the eerie feeling she had earlier. The figure's face was covered with a skull mask that had a creepy grin, and sported an all-black hooded gown like the grim reaper. And when she blinked? They were gone. Huh.

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀