The Upside Down Part 1

Shortly after Jonathan and Nancy left Maddie started to head back to the gym. This proved to be more difficult than she thought it was going to be. After trying to hobble her way back to the gym for another couple of minutes, Maddie decided it would be best for her to sit down for a while. Once Maddie was finally sitting on the gross floor of a hallway in Hawkins Middle School, she finally understood why Joyce wanted someone to help her walk at all times. Without the support, she was completely vulnerable. Maddie absolutely hated being in this situation. Instead of wallowing in her own self pity, Maddie started to think about everything that has been going on recently.

She thought about how she hasn't talked to Steve since the night she spent with him at his house. She thought about how she desperately needed an ice cream break with Erica. She thought about how Joyce and Hopper went into a death trap and might not make it out or find Will. She thought about how the kids will be if Will is actually gone. She thought about Eleven, and if she would ever truly escape the bad men. She thought about how Nancy and Jonathan willingly went out knowing they could die in the most brutal way possible. And most importantly, for the first time in a long time, she though about herself. How she got herself in this situation, sitting on the nasty floor of the hallway with her stomach stitched up and Band-Aids on her face. How she was introduced to interdimensional creatures and people with superpowers. And how far she would be willing to go to save the people she loves? That question was stuck in her head before she could finally think of the right answer. The answer was a simple one in her head: Whatever it takes.

After sitting in the hallway for over twenty minutes, Maddie finally heard voices coming towards her causing her to pull her gun out. As the voices got closer, Maddie recognized the voices as children's causing her to put her gun away. Lucas and Dustin shortly appeared around the corner with Mike and Eleven walking behind him. "Hey guys", Maddie said softly with a painful smile.

"Maddie!", they all yelled approaching the girl. "What's wrong?", Dustin questioned. "I just needed a minute to catch my breath", Maddie said shooting the young boy a small smile while the receiver gave her a disapproving look. "We thought you left with Nancy and Jonathan", Mike said. "No, they put me on babysitting duty. I guess I'm not doing a very good job am I?", Maddie questioned with a small chuckle. "What are you talking about you are the best babysitter ever", Lucas said with a large smile causing the other kids to do the same while nodding. "Aww, you're going to make me cry Luc", Maddie said imitating a sad face.

"Where were you guys going?", Maddie asked suspiciously. "To the cafeteria to get Eleven's energy back", Dustin stated openly. "Alright let's go", Maddie said bracing herself for the pain before getting up with the help of Dustin and Lucas. They all slowly walked to the cafeteria.

Once they made it, Dustin and Lucas helped Maddie sit at one of the table while they searched through the lunch lady's collection. "Found it! I knew she was hoarding it. I knew it!", Dustin exclaimed before Lucas stated, "Yeah!", like they just won the lottery. "Always lying, saying she's out. Bald-faced liar! Mike, I found the chocolate pudding!", Dustin shouted to Mike to receive an "Okay!" back.

Maddie was sat at a table by herself trying to distract herself from her pain. Dustin brought her a pudding cup which made her slowly focus on something else. While eating her pudding, Maddie heard tires approaching the school, as did the rest of the kids. "Nancy. Hold on, I'll be right back. Stay here", Mike said before sprinting away ignoring Maddie when she said, "Mike wait!".

"Guys! guys!", Mike shouted running into the room. "What?", Lucas asked. "They found us", Mike said causing Maddie to drop her pudding cup and get up ignoring the extreme pain in her stomach. She started ushering the kids out of the room while running behind them with her gun out ready to protect them no matter what.