5. Esmeralda inside the Cathedral

(Dissolve forward in time to Phoebus and the guards searching for Esmeralda. She is disguised, again with Djali as the old man. She sneaks into the church. Phoebus sees her and recognizes who it is. He follows her in alone. As he comes up behind her, she turns and grabs his sword.)

Esmeralda: You!

(She forces him to the floor, holding him there with the tip of his sword at his chin.)

Phoebus: Easy, easy--I just shaved this morning.

Esmeralda: Oh, really? You missed a spot.

Phoebus: All right, all right. Just calm down. Just give me a chance to apologize.

Esmeralda: For what?

(As she lets down her guard for a split second, Phoebus grabs the sword from her hands and turns it on her.)

Phoebus: That, for example.

Esmeralda: You sneaky son of a--

Phoebus: Ah, ah, ah! Watch it--you're in a church.

(She has picked up a staff with candles on top)

Esmeralda: Are you always this charming, or am I just lucky?

(She swings the staff at Phoebus, who blocks it with his sword. They fight.)

Phoebus: (Between Esmeralda's swings) Candlelight...privacy... music. Can't think of a better place for hand-to-hand combat! You fight almost as well as a man!

Esmeralda: Funny. I was going to say the same thing about you.

Phoebus: That's hitting a little below the belt, don't you think?

Esmeralda: No. This is.

(She swings one end of the staff at Phoebus' crotch. He blocks it with his sword. She quickly hits him in the face with the other end of the staff. He shakes it off.)

Phoebus: Touche!

(Djali butts him in the chest.)

Phoebus: I didn't know you had a kid.

Esmeralda: Well, he doesn't take kindly to soldiers.

(The fighting has subsided.)

Phoebus: Eh, I noticed. Permit me. I'm Phoebus. It means "sun god." And you are?

Esmeralda: Is this an interrogation?

Phoebus: It's called an introduction.

Esmeralda: You're not arresting me?

Phoebus: Not as long as you're in here. I can't.

Esmeralda: You're not at all like the other soldiers.

Phoebus: Thank you.

Esmeralda: So, if you're not going to arrest me, what do you want?

Phoebus: I'd settle for your name.

Esmeralda: Esmeralda.

Phoebus: It's beautiful. Much better than Phoebus, anyway.

(As they gaze into each other's eyes, neither notices Frollo and guards approaching.)

Frollo: Good work, Captain! Now, arrest her.

(Phoebus still has his back to Esmeralda.)

Phoebus: (Whispering to Esmeralda) Claim sanctuary.

(She looks at him oddly.)

Phoebus: Say it!

Esmeralda: You tricked me!

Frollo: I'm waiting, Captain.

Phoebus: I'm sorry, sir. She claims sanctuary. There's nothing I can do.

Frollo: Then drag her outside and--

(The archdeacon has entered)

Archdeacon: Frollo! You will not touch her! (To Esmeralda, whom he as approached) Don't worry. Minister Frollo learned years ago to respect the sanctity of the church.

(Frollo and the guards turn to leave. While the guards leave, Frollo ducks around a pillar and doubles back.)

Phoebus: Alright, alright! I'm going! (while Djali keeps hitting him)

(As the remainder of the people have passed, Frollo jumps out, grabs Esmeralda's arm and twists it behind her. He whispers into her ear.)

Frollo: You think you've outwitted me, but I am a patient man, and gypsies don't do well inside stone walls.

(He pauses, then breathes deeply, smelling Esmeralda's hair.)

Esmeralda: What are you doing?

Frollo: I was just imagining a rope around that beautiful neck.

(Frollo caresses her neck, but she pulls away.)

Esmeralda: I know what you were imagining.

Frollo: Such a clever witch. So typical of your kind, to twist the truth to cloud the mind with unholy thoughts. Well, no matter. (He begins to leave.) You've chosen a magnificent prison, but it is a prison nonetheless. Set one foot outside, and you're mine!

(He exits, pulling the door shut behind him. She rushes over to another door, only to find guards outside.)

Guard: Frollo's orders! Post a guard at every door.

(She slams it shut. Djali comes back to her.)

Esmeralda: Don't worry, Djali--if Frollo thinks he can keep us here, he's wrong.

Archdeacon: Don't act rashly, child. You created quite a stir at the festival. It would be unwise to arouse Frollo's anger further.

Esmeralda: You saw what he did out there, letting the crowd torture that poor boy. I thought if just one person could stand up to him, then... (she sighs) What do they have against people who are different, anyway?

Archdeacon: You can't right all the wrongs in this world by yourself.

Esmeralda: No one out there's going to help, that's for sure.

Archdeacon: Well, perhaps there's someone in here who can.

(He gracefully motions towards the inside of the church, then exits. Esmeralda moves into the church and sings, God Help the Outcast)

Esmeralda: I DON'T KNOW IF YOU CAN HEAR ME
OR IF YOU'RE EVEN THERE
I DON'T KNOW IF YOU WOULD LISTEN
TO A GYPSY'S PRAYER

YES, I KNOW I'M JUST AN OUTCAST
I SHOULDN'T SPEAK TO YOU
STILL I SEE YOUR FACE AND WONDER
WERE YOU ONCE AN OUTCAST TOO?

GOD HELP THE OUTCASTS
HUNGRY FROM BIRTH
SHOW THEM THE MERCY THEY DON'T FIND ON EARTH

GOD HELP MY PEOPLE
WE LOOK TO YOU STILL
GOD HELP THE OUTCASTS, OR NOBODY WILL.

(She walks through the church slowly, as the shadows of those walking past her float over her.)

Parishioners: I ASK FOR WEALTH
I ASK FOR FAME
I ASK FOR GLORY TO SHINE ON MY NAME
I ASK FOR LOVE I CAN POSSESS
I ASK FOR GOD AND HIS ANGELS TO BLESS ME!

(Esmeralda is slowly moving to the light streaming through a giant stained glass window. Meanwhile, upstairs, Quasi has heard Esmeralda's voice, and has come downstairs to watch her.)

Esmeralda: I ASK FOR NOTHING
I CAN GET BY
BUT I KNOW SO MANY LESS LUCKY THAN I

PLEASE HELP MY PEOPLE
THE POOR AND DOWNTROD
I THOUGHT WE ALL WERE THE CHILDREN OF GOD
GOD HELP THE OUTCASTS, CHILDREN OF GOD.

(She finishes her song in the centre of the light from the window as she hugs Djali.)