Chapter Ten

Divination lessons were going to be the death of (Y/N).

After her almost kiss with Harry — which the two chose not to tell anyone about — (Y/N) had been spending less time with Harry, Ron and Hermione, for fear that her true feelings for Harry would somehow be revealed. So now, in the stuffy Divination room, (Y/N) was sitting with Lavender and Parvati again, paying more attention to the former wondering how she should ask Dean Thomas out than the actual lesson.

(Y/N) made the mistake of glancing over at Harry when Professor Trelawney drew everyone's attention over to his table. He just looked so, so adorable, with his messy hair and lopsided glasses. The redhead girl hadn't stopped wondering what would've happened if Harry had connected their lips, and cursed the Boy Who Lived for making her so weak at the knees.

"Oh, do you mind if I try?" Hermione suggested to Trelawney, who hummed a little. "The Grim, possibly," Hermione said, looking into the crystal ball that was placed in front of her. Trelawney scrutinised Hermione's face closely. "My dear, from the first moment you stepped foot in my class, I sensed that you did not possess the proper spirit for the noble art of Divination. There, you see, there?"

Trelawney had picked up Hermione hand and began tracing the lines she saw. "Ah, you may be young in years, but the heart that beats beneath your bosom, is not. Your soul, as dry as the pages of the books to which you so desperately cleave, mm-hmm." She pat Hermione's hand in what seemed to be a gesture of sympathy, but Hermione snatched her palm away, picked up her bags, rolled the crystal ball off the table she sat at, and with her head held high, marched out of the Divination classroom for good.

Both Lavender and Parvati whispered disdainfully under their breath, but (Y/N) did not allow them to insult her friend so easily, so they, for once, reluctantly went back to gossiping about boys, while Trelawney tried her best to go on with her lesson.

• • • • • •  •

Ron, Harry and (Y/N) left their Divination lesson still talking about Hermione. Shelena caught up with them and they filled her in on what happened. "She's gone mental, Hermione has!" Ron said to Harry, earning glares from the two girls standing in front of him. "Look, it's not that she wasn't always mental, but now it's out in the open for everyone to see,"

Shelena rolled her eyes and waved her hand at Ron. "You think she's mental for storming out of that batty lady's class? The woman insulted her, for goodness' sake! Just let Hermione be- aargh! Reckon this is the crystal ball she rolled away?" Shelena said, picking the shiny ball up and handing it to Harry. "We better return this," Harry decided, turning to (Y/N) and Ron to see if either would go with him. But (Y/N) was still awkward about the fake almost-kiss, and Ron absolutely hated the idea to go back to the Divination classroom right after leaving it. "Fine, I'll go myself. See you guys later." With that, Harry climbed back up the stairs to the classroom by himself.

When Harry got back to the common room, his friends were huddled in a corner, all white-faced and shaking. He only got there just in time to see Shelena hurrying up the stairs to the girls dorms, outright refusing to something. Hermione held a small piece of crumpled and tear-stained paper, with Hagrid's messy handwriting on it. It said: Dear Hermione, today's Buckbeak's execution. Thank you for all the help you provided trying to help me save him. No words were needed between the four friends to decide that they were going to go comfort Hagrid and say their final goodbyes to Buckbeak before he got executed.

So with a dreary silence hanging over them they made their way to the hut they'd gone to so many times over the past few years. On the way, they passed by someone who was very clearly the executioner, who was sharpening his axe. Hermione reached out to grip (Y/N)'s hand tightly, and Hermione glared daggers at the executioner, who showed no sign of emotion under his mask. "I can't believe they're going to kill Buckbeak, it's just too awful," Hermione finally said, as they were about to head down the hill to Hagrid's hut. Ron scoffed as he saw something in front of him. "Just got worse," he said, pointing to Malfoy, Crabbe and some Slytherin standing behind a large rocky mass. "Father said I can keep the hippogriff's head!" Malfoy boasted, causing Crabbe to laugh stupidly (as he always did). Malfoy said something about the Gryffindor common room that (Y/N) didn't quite catch as she raced toward the three Slytherins, Hermione hot on her trail.