Twenty: Journey to Strelle

Comenzar desde el principio

Fear crawled its way along Beanni's skin as she felt the shadows of the Noir Era loom in her surroundings. Her mouth clamped shut, she was terrified to make a sound. She even tried to hush her breath, it felt like it echoed loudly in the empty and lonely night air.

Beanni felt Genelle's gaze on her and looked up to see that the stern look the Fiosolim had so far had softened.

"Everything will be alright, Beanni. One day all of this will make sense, you'll see," Genelle said in a gentle tone. "We may be breaking some rules but it is for a good cause."

"What cause?"

"Ending the war, once and for all."

"What?" Beanni coughed in disbelief, "The war against the Trolls?"

"Yes, a group of us thought that if we could just find out what the root cause of the Trolls' anger was, we could put things right somehow. We decided to gaze, for there seemed to be no other way." A look of worry returned to Beanni's face as she took in such rebellious ideals. However, she couldn't bring herself to argue, in stunned silence she let her captor continue.
"Illuminare-Trabem had stopped speaking to anyone for decades. We had to gaze to find out answers, and through smoke Illuminare-Trabem had finally shown us visions." Genelle paused and slowed her pace, the tall trees of Strelle Forest were in sight, merely yards away now. After a minute of silence, she stopped entirely and turned towards the bewildered teen.

"Are you not curious? Don't you want to know what we saw?"

It felt like Genelle's stare was piercing into Beanni's soul. "I-I..." Beanni began to stammer, hoping that if she spoke up that Genelle would stop looking at her like that. She let out a long sigh to steady her nerves and tried again. "Sure, what did you see?"

"The Smoke showed us none other than Joseh Draoicis-Lus," Genelle said with an enthusiastic smile, as though she was sharing the juiciest of gossip.

"What? The Joseh Draoicis-Lus? As in the father of Pugnum the..."

"Face of Noir-Astra," Genelle finished Beanni's sentence for her, eager to share further. "It turns out there was more to your Draoic mother's ancestor's story, which has been hidden to all who knew him and all who have come after him - until now."

"Wasn't he banished for poisoning cattle under Noir-Astra's trickery?"

"That's what they wanted everyone to think," Genelle said with a wink, and dove into her tale.

Thump, thump, thump, thump

Joseh's echoing footsteps were all that he could hear beside his chaotic, desperate breathing. He darted through the streets of Eartem away from the Palace, in those days named after King Lux - the Crown King who reigned before Astrid the First ascended the throne. He slammed his light orb into the surrounding white wall and watched it grow along the brickwork, opening a gaping archway for him to step through. He entered Central City with no hesitation, then took his orb back in a perfect, swift movement. Not stopping for longer than a few seconds to catch his breath, he began to run again along the cobbled streets until he got to a white and gold house that was adorned with the Draoicis-Lus family symbol. He fumbled with the door handle, went in, closed the door behind him and collapsed against the varnished wood.