this love

WHEN YOU'RE    YOUNG,
YOU JUST RUN BUT YOU
COME BACK      TO WHAT
YOU                             NEED.

PAUSES, THEN SAYS, YOU'RE MY BEST FRIEND

MY BEST FRIEND.

One of the most innocent things in life comes in the form of your first love. Or perhaps innocent isn't the best word to describe it, the first love is something soul-bearing, ground-breaking, earth-shattering. First loves are something that stick to a person for however long they need it to (many times, people find their first love stays with them until the end). It's like that first breath of fresh air you get when you come out from the water — the first love you have changes the way anything else feels. The way that you see the entire world. It changes you. Falling in love is something poets constantly try to describe, yet, never have the chance to figure out exactly what is the perfect description of love. Some try to describe it as the smell of fresh flowers on a warm spring day, others like to explain love as the waves of the ocean as they crashed against the shore. But falling in love, being in love, and your first love are all indescribable feelings. You can get close to describing them, but it would never be perfect. Not in the way that you need it to be. Not in the way you want it to be.

Augustine Finley couldn't remember the exact moment she realized she was falling in love — it wasn't a feeling she was used to. Sure, she had loved people before. But that was in a familial sense, she loved her mother and she loved Margaret, she would even go as far to say she loved Alfred. And she had her friends that she would say she loved (Roy, Donna, Wally, and Artemis to name a few). But, being in love in a romantic sense was something she had never felt before. So, of course, it took her a while to notice how her feelings had changed regarding Dick Grayson. He was (technically still is) her best friend, the person she confessed all of her secrets to, one of the people she trusted (and still does) with her life. But now? Now, Augustine Finley couldn't look at him without her heart leaping from her chest. Without her palms getting sweaty and her pupils dilating. Augustine Finley couldn't remember when she started to fall in love with Dick Grayson, every time she tried to figure it out, she was left with more questions.

And the strange feeling that she had always been in love with him.

The magic of a first love is that, even if they hurt you, there's still something you hold dear about it. Augustine Finley had been hurt by Dick Grayson a number of times (he is the adopted child of Bruce Wayne, of course) (let's ignore the fact that Augustine is Bruce's biological child for now, it hasn't caused any problems, yet), but there will always be something about him that pulls her back in. Even when she's in a relationship with someone else (someone who was once a close friend, Roy Harper) (so much for platonic love, huh), a part of her loved Dick Grayson. Or, perhaps, Augustine could blame that part on the Finley genes (possibly even the Wayne genes). After all, her mother has always loved Bruce Wayne and the opposite is also true.