Chapter 4: Summer Break Part II

They walked up to the small apartment building.  Bushes surrounded the complex on either side.  He pushed the code on the metal white gate.  The rusty gate sounded with a screech as he opened it.  “Hey, since it’s still early how about I make you something to eat?”  She offered.  “Sounds good, but I better help you.  I’m afraid you’ll burn the house down.”  He teased as he playfully jabbed her side with his elbow. 

“Shut up!  It’s just Miso soup.” 

“Why don’t we just make ramen?  That’d be more filling and it doesn’t require cooking.”

“Would you stop, I can cook!  If it’s ramen you want then I’ll make it.”

She stood up and marched into the kitchen.  He followed close behind her.  She whipped around and placed her hands on her hips as she insisted, “I can boil water!  Why don’t you go play that war video game!”  She placed her hands on his broad shoulders and tried to push him out of the kitchen.  He didn’t budge.  He silently walked passed her over to the cedar cabinets.

     He knelt down and pulled out a large pot from the bottom cabinet.  She bent down and looked over his shoulder.  In his hands he held a box of curry mix and a bag of rice.  “Are you serious?  I didn’t know you knew how to make curry!”  She said excitedly.  “Yeah, I just bought beef, potatoes, and carrots yesterday.”  He stated as he looked over his shoulder up at her.”  He made his way over to the fridge.

     She washed the carrots and potatoes in the sink while he prepared the rice.  She placed the vegetables on the kitchen’s marble island.  “Why were you just going to make miso soup?” He asked out of curiosity as he helped her peel the potatoes.  A light blush tinted her cheeks as she admitted, “I don’t know how to make anything else.”  “Well, now you’ll learn,” He said.  “I’ll cut the vegetables.   Go ahead and set up another pot to boil these.” 

                                                                              -x-

     “Here, let’s run your fingers under cold water.” Seiji said as he grabbed Airi’s hand and hurried her to the sink.  He lead her in front of him and wrapped his arms around her.  He turned on the faucet and stuck her right hand under the ice-cold water.  While straining the rice, Airi had burned her hand.  “You should’ve waited for me to help you.  That pot was heavy.”  He said.  His tone was gentle. 

    He briefly pulled her hand out of the water to examine her fingers before putting it back in.  He rested his chin on the top of her head.  His chest was firmly pressed against her as he leaned over her.  She absentmindedly leaned back against his strong frame.   He was so close she could count the buttons of his green polo shirt.  “Does it feel better?” He asked, interrupting her thoughts.  She looked up at him, her hair rumpling against his chest as she did so.  She intoned lightly, “Uh-huh.”  He smiled down at her.  The warmth from his body radiated against her.  She shivered from the temperature difference of the cold water running over her scalded fingers. 

     She peered up into his brown eyes.  He didn’t seem to notice she was staring at him.  He reached over her and shut off the water.  He held her cool hand in his warm one and flicked his hand over her wounded fingers.  His brows were pulled together and his forehead crumpled as he looked at her red fingers.  He lightly blew on the injured area.   She winced in pain and inhaled sharply as he did so.  Her fingers felt tender and throbbed.  “Don’t put anything on it.  You’re supposed to leave burns like this exposed to the air.” He advised. “Okay,” she replied softly as she looked down at her hand.  “It doesn’t look that bad and it feels better now.”  Her back was still flat against his chest.  She could feel the steady rhythm of his heartbeat.