Chapter 18

"Hey, you bought her fair and square. We're not taking her back.." The stable boy tells me defensively.
"I don't want you to buy her back, I'm just here to rent a stall." I tell him as I throw him Fjori's reins and a coin purse.
It's a miracle my boots don't slip on the slippery stone bridge as I run for the gates of Windhelm. I stopped only once during my journey to change back into my Stormcloak armor, as well as my fur boots and gloves. I've grown accustomed to heavier armor in the past few months, and at first I was dangerously unbalanced in the lighter Stormcloak cuirass. Despite how easy moving has become, every step aches; I feel drained of all energy I ever could've possessed. Kodlak's death and the loss of Vilkas have made my nights more sleepless than ever. With Sofie now added to my worries, I knew that stopping and attempting to sleep somewhere would only waste time.
I think distantly that I must be alarming the citizens of Windhelm, busting through the gates and racing through the streets like I am, but I don't dwell on it too long. When I finally arrive at the palace, Jorlief is consulting a few soldiers at the foot of Ulfric's empty throne. He appears confused by what they're telling him, but he usually does in matters of war.
"Novariana! Thank the gods you're finally here." He says, thankful to be pulled away from the soldiers.
"Where is Sofie? Is she alright?"
"Yes, she's upstairs in her room. Jarl Ulfric is with her now." He tells me as I rush past him.
My steps echo through the stone hallways until I finally reach the door of Sofie's room.
"Is she gonna come home soon?" I hear a small, hoarse voice ask.
"Yes dear girl, I'm sure she's on her way now." Ulfric answers in a gentle voice I'd never thought possible from him.
"Sofie..?" I ask softly as I open the door. She lays in her bed in a small nightgown, and her round face shines with fever. I immediately jump into the bed and take her up into my arms.
"Nova!" She croaks. "I missed you lots."
"I missed you too, precious girl." I tell her softly. "Are you not feeling well?" I ask. She shakes her head.
"The priests at the temple insisted it was ataxia, but the only mage I trust with something like this is Wuunferth. He confirmed it was the rattles, and he's working on a special potion for her right now." Ulfric explains. I can only nod, tears streaming my face as I hold her as tightly as I can. I was so sure she would die before I could arrive.
"Nova..? You're squishin' me." She complains. I smile and let her go. A maid comes in with something for her to eat, so Ulfric and I take the chance to speak privately.
"Nova, I feel my letter may have caused you some unwarranted concern. I never believed Sofie would die, I just hoped that your presence might comfort her. I apologize for scaring you." He says slowly as I'm wiping tears from my face.
"I just worry for her too much, that's all." I say slowly, wiping my nose and directing my disheveled face away from him. Very carefully, he reaches up to my cheek and turns my face back up towards his own. The gesture seems to be too intimate for comfort, and when he realizes this he awkwardly moves his hand down to my shoulder instead.
"Nova, I... Has something happened since I last saw you?"
"Kodlak Whitemane... Jorrvaskr was attacked only minutes before I arrived in Whiterun. He was killed. We were very close, and as you can imagine, my heart overflows with grief." I explain.
"I understand. When I was younger, not long after the Great War, there was an uprising in the Reach by the Forsworn. I led a mission to retake it for Skyrim, but many things happened after we were successful that I did not intend. I was arrested when the Empire's forces finally arrived to help. In my absence, my father died. I was forced to write his eulogy in prison, and had to smuggle it out once I was freed." He tells me, a dark shadow crossing his face. I try to meet his eyes, but his stare is too far away.
"Ulfric.. I'm so sorry."
"Nova, death is unjust no matter the situation. Even if you'd been expecting Kodlak Whitemane's death, you still would carry the same weight with you now. Know that even though you didn't have the chance to tell him whatever needed to be said, I believe you will be rejoined with him in Sovngarde. I express my deepest sympathies." He tells me, slowly looking up at me.
"Thank you.. Ulfric, thank you.." I tell him, suddenly standing on my toes to hug him. It's probably very improper to hug a Jarl, but at the moment I don't care. For a moment he seems a bit stunned, but I eventually feel his big arms around my waist. It lasts a moment longer than I intend, his face pressed against my neck. I don't move though, because for a moment it makes me wonder how long it's been since he was hugged.