Chapter Two.

~

Sunlight streamed through my curtains, assaulting my eyes as it did every morning. No matter how I laid, there was always one beam of light that somehow shot straight onto my closed eyelids. A soft groan escaped my lips as I rolled away from the harsh glare, pulling my comforter up over my head. Tuesday. School. Contrary to other teens my age, I actually looked forwards to school everyday. It was the only time I was ever able to escape this hell-scape of a house. I had a very small group of friends, a couple teachers that liked me, and a hot meal that didn't have the risk of spit or salmonella. Okay, maybe a little bit of salmonella.

Before I could muster a coherent thought, my phone began to blare beside my head, the familiar, factory set alarm that iPhones had to offer. I groaned once more as the sound pierced my ear, rendering me deaf for a total of four seconds. Slowly, I sat up, shimmying out from under the covers. Surprisingly enough, Jack hadn't visited my room any more the night before. He must've forgotten about the encounter and passed out somewhere in the house. Maybe in his room, or maybe on the couch. Mornings were always like a game of mine sweeper. Tread carefully, pick the right path. Wake up Jack and you're as good as dead.

I swung my legs over the side of my bed, warranting a creak from the rusted metal frame. My morning routine was like any other, but I followed it religiously. Get up, shower immediately -- with cold water. Next, skincare. Moisturizer and a light foundation to cover any bruising. Fortunately the cold shower calmed down the hand-print shaped welt on my cheek. I dabbed concealer around my left eye for extra measure, just incase it happened to start bruising. Once my makeup was applied, I got dressed. Something with long sleeves - if it didn't have long sleeves I had to pick a jacket to go over top of it. Today's particular outfit called for such a thing. The white t-shirt I chose was spotted with daisies, and matched perfectly with my yellow bomber jacket. I pulled my hair up into what could only be described as a nest, and fashioned it with a big brown clip. Who knew the messy bun would come back with such a passion!

The path to school was straight, and relatively peaceful. If I cut though the wooded area behind my house, it saved me ten minutes I would have to waste sitting on the bus. Granted it wasn't always ideal, especially if it was snowing, or raining, if given the choice of braving the elements or a bus full of teens that smelt like Newports, weed and body odor, I'm choosing the elements. To get to the backyard, I had to navigate my way through our small house and avoid the sleeping beast at all costs. When I was younger, I would imagine I was a knight traversing a castle to save a princess. Now, I have a much harder time covering my fear with fantasies.

Every step I took down the stairs seemed to creak, and the lower I got, the louder those creaks became. I winced with every sound, but sighed with relief when I reached the bottom. For a second, I paused, listening intently for any sounds of stirring. Instead, I was met with the chainsaw-esc grinding of Jack's snores. I exhaled another shaky, pent up breath and quickly made my way to the back door, where I retrieved my sneakers and my backpack, both of which I yanked on as I stumbled out the door. The weather outside was more than pleasant - it was gorgeous. The perfect temperature for a light jacket. The sun was warm and a soft breeze blew through the trees. For a moment, a rare smile tilted up the corners of my lips, and I paused to appreciate the beauty around me. How peculiar, the way mother nature prevailed over man. Despite the terrible way she is treated, she still finds a way to be... Beautiful.

I stepped off the back porch and began to make my way to the high school that doubled as my sanctuary. I made a b-line through the forest, following the path I had created over the many years of taking this short cut. The ground was worn down and no plants grew along the path, making it clear as day for me to follow. At this point, I could probably do it with my eyes closed. Pass over the small stream that cut straight through the middle, hang a right past the dead willow tree, and then 5 minutes of walking in a straight line would place me right on the edge of the school parking lot. I could drive to school like any other normal senior - if I had a car. But I cant get a car without my license, which I cant get without learning how to drive, which my mother absolutely forbids. The moment I learn to drive, I'll have a way to leave her.