Chapter Four

"Did you find anything last night?" Quackity said the next morning.

Socius glanced around nervously as they hovered, before solemnly shaking their head.

"Well, bugger." Quackity muttered. "They must've been real sneaky were they?"

Socius quickly nodded before flying up into the rafters, as Quackity looked on puzzled. It was slightly unusual for Socius, or any Allay to act like that, they're normally friendly beings and really like being around people. Socius was the one who followed them home one day in the first place. But maybe they had a right to be scared. Perhaps they had seen something wrong last night, and were too scared to tell him. Not like Allays could talk in the first place. Now that he thought about it, Allays were better for finding useful items and companionship rather than security duty. The whole server knew that was Technoblade's job.

Yet mobs never have to deal with things that a person would, Quackity thought. Allays never have to deal with chores, nagging peers, strange mysteries, or any of the annoyances of life, big or small. Socius was probably perplexed observing the trio's complex daily lives and emotions from the cabin's rafters. Most mobs are only smart enough where survival is their only objective.

If only he were dumb enough to be as carefree as his little friend, the Elytrian silently said to himself.

꧁𖣘꧂

"So, something's in your cabin?" George said.

"Not just something." Quackity corrected. "Someone. No animal could leave scratches like that or breathe that heavy."

George had his mouth half open to say something. He closed it, and brought a knuckle to his lips, something he always did. Quackity was only not sarcastic when something was wrong, his blunt words meant seriousness.

"Wouldn't be surprised if that blasted Chaos Magic got to someone from a nearby village, and they've ran off to here." Quackity continued. "That bright magenta bullshit can't leave us alone, can it?" He grumbled, as he impatiently drummed a finger on his mug of coffee.

George gave a small chuckle at Quackity's remark. "Well, that seems to be likely with the behavior that you've described." he replied. It was common knowledge around the server that George was their best source of information on Chaos Magic, possibly the best source. He had, after all, witnessed the most horrifying magical event in centuries firsthand. If anyone knew how to recognize signs of The Forbidden Magic, it was him.

"Come to think of it, Dream told me something similar a few days ago." George added.

"Really?"

"Yeah, he was on one of his nighttime walks, and he heard them in the bushes near your cabin. He never saw them, but it had a lot of similarities, same sounds and smell and everything." "He told me the next day that something could be off, just to be safe." George continued.

"Huh..." Quackity said in somewhat awe. "Dude's got an eye for that kinda stuff, does he? Well- I mean... no pun intended." he stated.

"Oh, no worries. I can see why you think that. Dude's full of mysteries, he ain't afraid of much."

"Well..." Quackity awkwardly said, trying not to sound rude. "Aren't you and him.. still afraid of people sometimes?"

George set down his tea. "People can be wicked, Sydney. They're hard to understand. Yet the capabilities of Chaos far outweighs the atrocities any man can do."